Small Aquarium using pond water balance. Your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pirahna dave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got some Tetra Pond Water Balance for dirt cheap at Petco. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of .5ml or less could hurt using it in a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have about 12 6-8 inch sections of anacharis and a 8-10 inch bundle of water primrose (North American). As far as fish I have 3 1.5 inch Red Belly Pirahnas and about 10 very small guppys as well as 6 small ghost shrimp to clean the bottom and 3 less the then a 1/4 inch snails for the sides. The tank has been there 6-8 months. The water is a little hard and the PH is at about 6.7-6.8. Nitrates are a little high I have been doing 10-15% water change every 2 days due to nitrites raising to like 4ppm now they are at 1.5-2ppm. Nitrates are a high so I added the plants about 3 months ago after growing an oscar for 4 months with snails. All the other fish are a 3 weeks old. Everything was fine until I tested it tonight. and I noticed the higher stats on the water quality I posted. I am using an aqua clear 30 with both amonia remover and carbon all in a modified basket so it fits and covers the ceramic rings with water for the biological filtration. I read the pond water balance helps with PH and helps a lot with plant health and water condition. Wondering if anyone ever used it in aquaria and what effects they have had. When I move in 1-3 weeks They are going in either a 29 or 55 havent decided yet. I need them to stay healthy until then. When i saw the high nitrates tonight I was a little more concerned. I have been using the pond water balance for a week because it helps my PH not be so acidic. Tap PH is around 6.3 or less. So it is slowly bringing it up I use like .1-.3 ML pond water balance once. its hard to judge such a lil amount. Any thoughts to bringing Nitrites down and nitrates down or just squeeze it out until new tank. With the new tank I got some stuff to help cycle the tank and I am litterally gonna put the ten gallon in the 55 or 29 gallon water gravel and all and not clean the filter. Ok any ideas post them.....umm...now...lol thanks.

It says on Tetra Pond Water Balance...For use in ornamental ponds only. Not for aquariums. Yet it says safe for all aquatics. I know that if I put a large dosage in it yes that will be bad. just what about a correct dosage to the water amount...Poor Pirahna test subjects....lol...thank god they are invincible....Prolly such a minute amount wont do anything at all tho...I have noticed now 4 days later the plants look a lot greener then before...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom