Small cichlids for a 46G bowfront?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua crew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got my 46G bowfront that's empty now that I gave my angelfish pair to a friend. I was thinking of putting some smaller cichlids in there, but they would need to be higher ph, as it is between 7.8 - 8.2. Any suggestions? I wanted to do rams before I learned of their acidic preference.

Look into pelvichromis. They are a west African dwarf cichlids that fit the bill well. Otherwise Bolivian rams may work as they are hardier

Look into pelvichromis. They are a west African dwarf cichlids that fit the bill well. Otherwise Bolivian rams may work as they are hardier

I had no idea pelvicachromis pulcher (kribensis) was an African cichlid. Ill have to look into getting one or two. As far as Bolivians go, they're still South American, even if they are hardy, I don't think they'd enjoy my water.

I had no idea pelvicachromis pulcher (kribensis) was an African cichlid. Ill have to look into getting one or two. As far as Bolivians go, they're still South American, even if they are hardy, I don't think they'd enjoy my water.

Probably not so much, look into the whole genus many that are cooler than pulcher. And if you find one you like let me know I've got a hook up

I just checked out sacrimontis and taeniatus, I really liked taeniatus, a lot of them look pretty much exactly like the typical krib.

You could always add peat to lower ph and hardness. I just noticed you gave the angel up. You could do lake tang tank. A group of shell dwellers, altolamptologus Compressiceps or two. A few others like juilidochromis

You could always add peat to lower ph and hardness. I just noticed you gave the angel up. You could do lake tang tank. A group of shell dwellers, altolamptologus Compressiceps or two. A few others like juilidochromis

I don't like to mess with my parameters too much. But I was looking at the brichardi cichlid. Specifically the daffodil. I don't have any shells for shell-dwellers, and I'd rather be able to see my fish.

I was also looking at cynotilapia afra, aka the dogtooth cichlid. Although I'm worried it might be too aggressive.

Brichardi would work. You could do mbuna but IMO tangs are less common and more interesting and shellies don't go in shells often. behavior is cooler than colors IMO

Brichardi would work. You could do mbuna but IMO tangs are less common and more interesting and shellies don't go in shells often. behavior is cooler than colors IMO

I definitely agree that behaviour is cooler than colour. There's a lfs near my work that has a few. Ill have to stop by and take a look.

Back
Top Bottom