Small home for betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys an gals.

In the next few weeks I'm gonna be looking for a new small tank for a single male Betta.

I don't know which brands do which sizes so I'm hoping you guys can help me a lot!

I would like a 5gal or similar without UGF too if possible :)

If it were mine, I would just get a bare bones 5 gallon, then purchase individual filter, etc. I think you get better equipment this way plus that equipment is transferable to another tank, should you upgrade.

Just stay away from biorbs. They don't offer much in the way of real estate.

LyndaB said:
If it were mine, I would just get a bare bones 5 gallon, then purchase individual filter, etc. I think you get better equipment this way plus that equipment is transferable to another tank, should you upgrade.

Just stay away from biorbs. They don't offer much in the way of real estate.

Yea I'm really not a fan of biorbs lol.

I don't have a great choice of bare tanks an parts round me that's why I was looking online.

I have a filter that's currently in my tank being seeded (Stingray 5, for 25 litres)

Guess I can look into building a tank.

But I'd always stray towards buying a packaged one first

Check your local freecycle (if you have it) or craigs list, see if anybody's giving away anything interesting.

LyndaB said:
Check your local freecycle (if you have it) or craigs list, see if anybody's giving away anything interesting.

They seem to be located around 60 miles away and I don't have a means of travel to get to most places lol.

I have seen standard box tanks in a small store near me so I think there is a chance of a build

Wal-mart sells rectangular 5-gallons. It comes with a filter i think but id replace that

Just google fish tank in whatever your locale is and you should get pricing between stores that carry them.

Google is your friend....... :D

Sometimes that's just the best way to find out who's got what, saves you in gas money and the time and frustration of going to the lfs.

LyndaB said:
Google is your friend....... :D

Sometimes that's just the best way to find out who's got what, saves you in gas money and the time and frustration of going to the lfs.

I tried google but it gave me lots of online results :/

I'm gonna spend a few hours browsing me thinks.

Thanks Lynda

We dont have wal-mart but we have Tesco, they dont sell fish stuff though.......

Ok so I've looked into building a tank.

My local pets at home has a small 21 litre tank (getting smaller that 25 litres so I can use the stingray filter I'm seeding) for around £20

A 25w heater is around £12

A hang on LED lighting rig is £20

That brings my total to £42, that's £18 cheaper than the small tank kit I was looking at. So even if I tweak the lights or heater etc I will still be under the cost of that tank.

I have enough gravel in my current tank to steal some (help with BB too) and I can move my coconut Anubias for greens.

All in all I hope I can set it up in a month, depending what the Gf says :( lol

Back
Top Bottom