Small itch outbreak, quick few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iceman15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I noticed spots on two of my fish, so I immediately put them into a smaller tank away from the others.

My first question, is it best to put the sick ones in their own tank? Or treat them all in the bigger tank? The only other tank I have is a tiny 2.5 gallon tank...

The directions say to take the carbon out of the filters. I have two HOB filters so that would mean taking out the blue inserts, correct? And then leave them out for the whole week or two treatment but still run the filters?

Anything else I should know? I am slowly increasing the temperature in the water, is 82 high enough or should I get up near 86?

Thanks for the help!

If it were me I would treat the whole tank just in case any other fish are infected and you just can't see it and temp 86 should be fine and what size tank and fish are in there and what meds are you going to use

I have Kordon rid-itch in my cabinet that I was going to use. Is one brand better than the other or are there different medications?

Cilantro said:
If it were me I would treat the whole tank just in case any other fish are infected and you just can't see it and temp 86 should be fine and what size tank and fish are in there and what meds are you going to use

+1 on that, and yes if you're going to use meds you do need to take the carbon out, I've no experience with HOB filters though so can't say for sure on which bit is the carbon..

55 gallon tank, 2 Regent (I think this brand has been changed to AquaClear...?) HOB filters.

Don't remove media and don't add any meds. All you need to do is:
Increase the temp to 86-88F
Increase surface agitation
Increase number of gravel vacs and water changes
Leave the temp up for at least 1 week after the last spot is seen
The whole tank is infected with ich. It's on the fish, in the substrate and in the water. Disinfect all shared equipment between tanks.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Then you should remove the carbon bag because my aquaclear has three inserts one foam one carbon and one ammonia chips not sure if yours is the same but if it is remove the carbon baggie

Well I was in a frenzy to try and help them so I have already done a 25% water change, taken out carbon, and added the first treatment of medicine... Should I continue with this method or revert to the above with no medicine?

And no my filters are not like yours, Cilantro, they just have blue inserts you slide into place and I'm pretty sure they are just filled with carbon. Sorry I was mistaken it is now AquaTECH not AquaCLEAR. Carbon has been removed though

Mumma.of.two said:
Don't remove media and don't add any meds. All you need to do is:
Increase the temp to 86-88F
Increase surface agitation
Increase number of gravel vacs and water changes
Leave the temp up for at least 1 week after the last spot is seen
The whole tank is infected with ich. It's on the fish, in the substrate and in the water. Disinfect all shared equipment between tanks.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

+ 1 with this method

+1 to temp method. I used it recently with daily water changes and a turned up filter for extra agitation. Worked like a charm

I would do a large water change and a good gravel vac and start the heat only method. Keep calm and do things slowly so as to not stress your fish or yourself! Ich is far from deadly in the early stages. :)

Sounds great thanks for the help everyone. I will do a large water change tomorrow and put the media back in to start the temperature method.

If I do not have anything to increase surface agitation should I still do this method, or do the medicine method?

Sounds like you are quite the expert on these matters. I appreciate all of the help. Do you think I should wait until tomorrow to start the temperature treatment or just do the large water change right now and put the media back in?

Back
Top Bottom