Small living shells in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labidis

Aquarium Advice Activist
It seems my new tank (4 months old) has had some unsuspected new aquisitions. There are a number of small living and moving shells. I only noticed them over the past few weeks( seems to be after i aquired some new plants). Should i be worried and remove these slowly moving shells, with tiny feet in them. See picture and advise please.
There are even a few stuck on the tank glass

Thanking you in advance, John.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402409561.148547.jpg

They will rapidly become a plague and a scourge in your tank.
Get some clown loaches, they love snails. :drool:

Clown loaches get huge, they'd need a 75 gallon minimun.. those are Malaysian trumpet snails and are actually beneficial to your tank. They move through the substrate eating up left over food and stuff, you could add an assassin snail for every 10 gallons to keep them in check or add a bunch to eradicate the entire population..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Actually they are good snails.They're called Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They usually spend their time underground, mixing up the substrate and aerating it. They tend to overpopulate when there is excess food in the tank so by keeping that in check, the snails should be under control.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its much appreciated.. I was really starting to get worried...!

Are these shells part of the snail.. In other words do the shells form in the tank along with the snails.. Cause i dont recall seeing shells in the tank before.
I thouhht snails make existing empty shells into homes.. But i guess im wrong ?

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its much appreciated.. I was really starting to get worried...!

Are these shells part of the snail.. In other words do the shells form in the tank along with the snails.. Cause i dont recall seeing shells in the tank before.
I thouhht snails make existing empty shells into homes.. But i guess im wrong ?

That would be hermit crabs and they are basically land dwelling, or different kinds are saltwater hermits.

These just make babies in the form of eggs and then all of a sudden you have snails, which come with their own shells.

You might be over feeding btw.

If you ever see them all heading for the top of the tank, you know you have a problem in your tank and better do a big pwc. (and test your water of course) Due to too much ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.

Hi autumn and everyone,

I went and checked up on the fish tank last night and here were probably about u snails... So i will keep an eye on them amd feed less going forward.

Thanks again for everyones advice.

John.

Back
Top Bottom