Small schooling fish suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalloonBellies

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was looking into getting two male guppies but after doing some research I don't think they would be a good match. I read they can be aggressive to each other and other fish cause of their desire to mate. I have two female mollies so when I read that they can cross breed that did not make me happy :p
I was thinking about adding some danios or ember tetras? Any other suggestions for small fish/schooling fish that get along with mollies and neon tetras?

I have six zebra danios and they don't school at all. Sometimes two chase each other but that's it. I've seen separate YouTube videos of Lemon Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras and Bloodfin Tetras schooling. I'm getting some Bloodfins next week.

Harlequin Rasbora are very pretty fish who school.

I have hengels rasbora and they are always schooling together more than any other of schoolers ive had they look similar to harlequins which are also a great schooler.

Rummy nose school like its their job! Really tight! And if they do break about (I have five) j will have two groups of three(some idiot at my lfs gave me a white cloud minnow and he thinks he is a rummy nose tetra) so he will be in the mix to ahahahahaha

Harlequin Rasbora are very pretty fish who school.

I was considering harlequin rasboras, are they some what hardy? My tank has a high ph and I heard they like softer water. My neon tetras are doing good but I don't want to buy some and have them die

Any other suggestions of small some what hardy fish? They don't have to be schoolers longs they're peaceful :)

Schooling Suggestions

I was looking into getting two male guppies but after doing some research I don't think they would be a good match. I read they can be aggressive to each other and other fish cause of their desire to mate. I have two female mollies so when I read that they can cross breed that did not make me happy :p
I was thinking about adding some danios or ember tetras? Any other suggestions for small fish/schooling fish that get along with mollies and neon tetras?

Hello Balloon...

Don't fret over the Guppies and Mollies breeding. It's rare and the fry are sterile. The two fish aren't very closely related. Any of the Tetras would be good tankmates as well as Danios.

Panda Corys are very peaceful too. They're not schooling fish, but they keep together in groups called "shoals". Any of the smaller Cory species would be a nice addition, provided you have a bit larger tank, say 30 G or so.

B

Hello Balloon...

Don't fret over the Guppies and Mollies breeding. It's rare and the fry are sterile. The two fish aren't very closely related. Any of the Tetras would be good tankmates as well as Danios.

Panda Corys are very peaceful too. They're not schooling fish, but they keep together in groups called "shoals". Any of the smaller Cory species would be a nice addition, provided you have a bit larger tank, say 30 G or so.

B

So if I did get male guppies they're wouldn't be a problem with my female mollies? That's a relief
How many male guppies should I get so there isn't an aggression problem with each other?

If you are still interested in harlequins, mine have been living in a steady 7.8 pH for several months and are showing no ill effects. They have reached the standard size for harlequins (so they aren't stunted because of the pH) and have colored up nicely, with reddish bodies, dark black triangles and bright blue stripes over the triangles.
Of course, the fact that the pH is STEADY and they aren't having to adjust to constant swings helps.

Male Guppies

So if I did get male guppies they're wouldn't be a problem with my female mollies? That's a relief
How many male guppies should I get so there isn't an aggression problem with each other?

Hello again Balloon...

In a perfect world, Guppies are best kept in a "Species" tank (Guppies only) instead of a "Community" tank (several species together). If that's not possible, then keep the number of Guppy males to a minimum and have several female Mollies. With male Guppies, 1 male for every 3 to 4 females is preferable. The more females, the better. This way, the males don't constantly bother one female.

Mollies are very particular about water conditions and their food. It would be good to research the care and feeding of Mollies. They are the least hardy of the "Livebearers".

B

Hello again Balloon...

In a perfect world, Guppies are best kept in a "Species" tank (Guppies only) instead of a "Community" tank (several species together). If that's not possible, then keep the number of Guppy males to a minimum and have several female Mollies. With male Guppies, 1 male for every 3 to 4 females is preferable. The more females, the better. This way, the males don't constantly bother one female.

Mollies are very particular about water conditions and their food. It would be good to research the care and feeding of Mollies. They are the least hardy of the "Livebearers".

B

I have two female mollies doing good so far. I will do more research on their care :) so if I had 3 male guppies would they pester my mollies? I don't want to make a bad decision that will cause my other fish to be stressed

Yes I am actually
I have some neons and after purchasing them I found out they prefer softer water but they are doing great. So If my water perameters stay the same there shouldn't be a problem? I'm still debating male guppies, harlequin rasboras, and danios lol

herp_mommy said:
Rummy Nose will ALWAYS stay in a tight school. great little fish.

Question, I have a 75gal planted tank currently stocked I have 2 discus, 4 gbr and 12 black neon tetras. My question is (I plan on adding 2 more species of schooling fish blood fin tetras and rummy nose tetras,) will my black neon tetras bug the rummy nose and blood fin due to their smaller size?

Question, I have a 75gal planted tank currently stocked I have 2 discus, 4 gbr and 12 black neon tetras. My question is (I plan on adding 2 more species of schooling fish blood fin tetras and rummy nose tetras,) will my black neon tetras bug the rummy nose and blood fin due to their smaller size?

I have my rummys in a 110 discus tank with neons, and the number of neons did DECLINE after I added the rummys. But IMO neons don't last that long anyway.

Back
Top Bottom