Small tank and single coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vendettaseve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone

Im new here and slightly new to salt water aquariums, however I have quite alot of experience with FW tanks.

I would like to start up a small tank with a single frag of Torch and just let it grow/be cared for.

I have a couple wierd tanks I rescued from a going out of business pet store in the area, they are 10 gallon I believe with 15"s across the board as far as dimensions go, totaly square.

The question is, would that be enugh room for it to live comfortably without having to upgrade a couple months to a year later? Also what do you suggest I get as far as tank equipment/things inside the tank other than the coral.

Thanks,

V

Ps, I would also like to toss a hermit crab or two into the tank if at all possible, but not a mandatory thing :D

I guess it all depends on if you're going to catch the bug or not. If you get into SW fever like most of us do, and especially it its the reef strain.... well you should start big. I don't remember how much light the torch need, but for most corals you need more than the basic FW lighting. Also with a smaller tank you'll need to be very careful about your parameters, making sure you do weekly water changes for a tank that size, and daily top offs with RO/DI water. I don't see any issue with the hermit crabs, I've never had any issues with them. As far as tank equipment, to be basic with a tank that size, dry sand, live rock, heater, powerhead. The live rock will act as your filter, and the rock and sand will hold your beneficial bacteria.

OH, and lighting, others will have to chime in about that, and that also depends if you just want a torch or other corals too...

We have some really good articles in our SW articles section. Read esp. the one on cycling your tank.

Here's a couple of articles/posts to start your reading:

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

A 10 gallon tank is considered a nano tank so I suggest you read the posts in that forum. It's harder to maintain parameters in a small tank, but with no fish that will be be a bit easier.

Almost forgot

welcometoaa.gif

Thanks for your replies guys I have been reading the sections you recommended.

Im planning on having just the single coral in there and a couple hermit crabs to keep things tidy. And yes I do fully intend to introduce a larger tank to my collection at some point in the future. with more corals and fish etc.

I think what I really wanted to know the most tho, was if I should use the 10 gallon tanks for small aquariums, or if you think it would be more beneficial to go and buy a larger tank up front and use the small tanks for my snakes. :D

if you plan to upgrade, you might as well do it now. if not, yes, you can keep coral in a small tank such as a 10 gallon or less and it can flourish, providing you keep the parameters and lighting correct.

IMO its always better to start off big. Bigger water volume means that your parameters are going to be much more stable and easier to avoid a crash. Plus if you buy large once, you are less tempted to upgrade in a couple months. It may cost quite a bit up front, but less then buying equipment for this tank, then buying all new larger equipment for your next tank.

Find your local clubs forum or craigslist and look for tanks. Unfortunately because of the economy a TON of people are getting out of the hobby, and there are plenty of really nice tanks out there for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom