Small Tank Cycling and Water Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fltcrew21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the middle of a fish less cycle on my daughter's old Aqueon 4g Evolve.

If you're not familiar with that product, it has about a 1 gallon reservoir in the back with a slot for an Aqueon medium filter then an overflow to the other side of a bulkhead with a small pump that returns water to the tank.

I am using a Fluval polishing pad crammed into the filter side and Fluval Bio Media in the bottom of the pump side.

Is it going to be possible to cycle this setup? I'm not sure what the water flow rate is or how effective it is at mixing up the water.

What got me thinking along these lines was a couple of days ago I did a 50% water change because my Nitrites were off the chart high. I filled it back up and let it run for an hour. After that hour, I tested the Nitrites of the tank with one tube and of the water in the back of the filter area with another tube.

The water in the back was still off the chart but the tank was about 1-2ppm.

My display tank's filer has almost 10:1 filtration but who knows what this thing has and whether it will effect the bacteria growth.

Thoughts?

By the way, it hasn't been that long since I started the cycle but I seeded the heck out of this little tank with media and such from my canister filter.

Ammonia will go down in 24 hours but not quite zero. But the Nitrites are off the scale high every time I check it.

Back
Top Bottom