Smaller plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for a smallish armored catfish intermediate between a bristlenose pleco and a common. I want to keep it with a pickerel, currently about 6-7" but which will soon enough be 10-12". Since the pickerel is an obligate piscivore and will never be trained off live foods, I want to make sure the catfish gets large enough to not be attacked. However, I don't have a big enough tank for a common pleco, so I'm hoping for one that can be kept over the long run in a tank with a 48x18" footprint (standard 75, but it has a 50 gallon sump).

The following information would be appreciated:
-any species that meets this description.
-where I can find one.
-identification keys.
-anything else you think I should know.

why do you want the pleco? there are a few that come to mind, but depending on what you want it for, anything other than just to have it and enjoy seeing it would be pointless imo

This is still an aquarium forum right? I want a fish for my fish tank. Why does anybody keep fish?

I want a pleco specifically because the pickerel hangs out near the surface, so I want a fish that will hang out on the bottom to fill out the tank. Like keeping guppies and cories together, except that with this tankmate survivability enters into it. A school of cories wouldn't last a week.

wow way to take that wrong... the reason i asked that is most people that want plecos get them because they have an algae problem, not because they are cool... but nevermind...

Sorry if that came across wrong. I understood what you were saying, and I thought I was answering your question, but I see now how that sounds rude. Sometimes the internet just isn't good for these things. But the answer to your original question is that I think they're neat fish.

Anyway, the tank he will be going in doesn't have enough light to support algae. It does have some wood he might chew on, and when I add food for the pike's feeders (beefheart and frozen brine) some of it will reach the bottom and need to be cleaned up, but mostly I plan on feeding the pleco spirulina wafers and vegetables, supplemented with plant clippings from another tank and the occasional dead feeder the pike hits but doesn't eat.

There are other varieties of pleco that reach about 12". Most of them are pretty pricey though.

Back
Top Bottom