Smallest saltwater tank allowed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanna start a saltwater tank just a small one to see if I like it . What the smallest tank a saltwater fish could have and be happy?

I think the smallest is say a 8-10g, which i think could hold a neon goby.

Honestly, starting small sw tanks is twice as hard as starting large ones. You will have unstable water conditions and it isnt recommended for beginners to start off small, and definatly not this small.

Gboy66 said:
I think the smallest is say a 8-10g, which i think could hold a neon goby.

Honestly, starting small sw tanks is twice as hard as starting large ones. You will have unstable water conditions and it isnt recommended for beginners to start off small, and definatly not this small.

Oh I'm just afraid I will mess a big one up or I won't like saltwater or it will be too expensive . So I guess I could get around a 15G

Start with a 29, I started with a 25 and love it trust me do it right and you won't dislike saltwater. Just do it all the way and don't cut corners.

Check out my 25 gallon build in my signature, it shows you what I did and then theres a vid at the end. So far I love saltwater so much more then fresh and it's 10000x more beautiful

You can have whatever size you want. Your just way restricted on stocking. You could get goby pistol pair and put them in a 2.5 gallon. Look in the nano section. Some tanks are tiny

Yeah i'd say go with at least a 29g. Small enough that you won't need a skimmer. PWCs will be enough for a tank that small.

Allow me to echo all the above stated. Bigger the better. I did freshwater for 10 years and did not get as much enjoyment out of that as I have had in the last...3-4 months of having saltwater...and one month of that was cycling! I'm running a 36 gallon and wish I had gone bigger already.

Added water volume is a good thing. The more the better. The bigger tanks are more forgiving when issues arise.

I agree with the above. I started out saltwater 4 years ago with a 55 gallon. I thought about starting with a small biocube - I was so surprized after just a few months a 55 seemed too small! It took me another 3 years, but I upgraded slightly to a 75 gallon.. and I still wish I could go bigger.

I would definatly recommend saving up a bit and going ( if you have the room) for a 55 or larger. More room to have fish, corals etc. You're going to find you're addicted and wish you had more room! Most fish require a good amount of space. You can start out with fish only to make it cheaper and easier and go from there.. it really is a lot easier do the the extra water volume.. more stable temp, salinity etc.. therefor fish are healthier and less maintnance!

Back
Top Bottom