smell after overfeeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purrfect

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have smell problem in my tank. My family took care of the fish while I was gone for ONE night. When I came home I thought that the dog has peed in the carpet. Well, I vacuumed leftover food from the bottom making about 20% water change. The smell has not gone yet. How should I do this? Change some water several times or a lot at once? Would waiting alone help. I changed the filter, too.

Thanks.

What does the smell smell like? It is better to do several small water chnges than one big one. How large is your tank? What is the current stock?

It is better to do several small water chnges than one big one

I 100% agree with thtis statement...depending on the size of your tank do a 1 - 3 Gallon water change a day until the smell is gone...you will alwasy get a slight odour from any aquarium but never a strong " dog pee" smell

Hi,

It smells like pee. This morning the water is cloudy. It was not cloudy yet yesterday. I don't think the tank has smelled ever before. I got it for Christmas. It is 30 gallons, has Emperor 280 and there is nine platties. The fish are active now. Waterparameters are fine and normal. Maybe I could do relatively big, that 20% waterchange every day for a while to get rid of it sooner.

How often do you change your cartridges? The activated carbon doesn't ever need to be replaced unless it starts to deteriate. Basically, when the filter starts to run slow, just rinse the cartridge in used tank water, not tap water because chlorine will kill the bacteria. In fact, it's not even needed in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom