Smell ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irishdaisy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed an odour coming from my tank.
Ph Nitrates/ nitrites/ ammonia are normal.
I do regular water changes all the time.
I have no artificial castles etc. .
I have a good amount of live plants
I put fluval Excel and plant food sometimes.
I treated for inch 3 weeks ago for 3 days with nox inch but have changed the filter media and water since then

Not sure what to do to get rid of the smell.?!?

I was Abit overstocked but I fixed that today so maybe the smell will go away soon

Now I have a 26 gallon tank with

a fluval c3 filter
(I took out the second mini filter I had In There and used it on another tank for all the guppy fry.

3 (2inch) silver mollies
1 male 2 females

3 (1.5 inch) platys all male

2 hatchets (1 inch)

And 3 (1.5 inch) plecos
That I'm rehoming this week and replacing with 5 ottos

And 2 (1.5 inch) adult female guppies

Might have 5or 6 guppy fry but I'm moving them to the fry tank as I see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd do a 50% or more water change and see if that might help. Something could be rotting in the tank water or substrate (could be simple as food that didn't get eaten)

I'd do a 50% or more water change and see if that might help. Something could be rotting in the tank water or substrate (could be simple as food that didn't get eaten)

Thanks I did a 25percent change last night. I did a 15 percent water change this morning. I'm going to test it again tonight then do a 40percent water change.maybe I don't vacuum enough. (My tank is big and my vacuum is small )lol I might go buy a bigger vacuum tomorrow, that could have something to do with it. I rinsed the filter this afternoon and did smell the same smell but stronger in the dirty filter water so could be the loose plant leaves that got sucked up. .

I just hope when I lift my driftwood there's not any dead guppy fry ( I highly doubt it since I cleaned it four days ago and no one had babies lol ) but the tiny possibility totally creeps me out !

I know right? XD i hope you're able to find the cause(s)! It can be tricky sometimes >____> i had a platy die underneath my rock work (in a cave) once and by the time I found him he was pretty gross...

Well there were no dead fishes and surprisingly not a lot of dirt either. . But I did get a bunch out and rinsed the filter etc. maybe I need to change the carbon

But I broke my nice driftwood when I lifted it out of the water :/ I'm going. To order something decorative to put in my tank. Maybe a Buddha or a dragon

Im still not that good at water changed and vacuuming. I basically end up re arranging everything once a week lol. I'm going to post a before pic here in this thread now and tomorrow I will post an after shot of what it turned into .. I basically jst shove Any plant I see uprooted back down in random spots. I stopped trying to plan it perfectly and symmetrical ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430543409.421895.jpg it's impossible lol

Woah that's really pretty

Thanks that was my fave look so far but unfortunately it doesn't look like that at all anymore. I left more spaces In Between the plants for easier viewing of the roots area . It still smells. tomorrow morning I'm going to smell it if it's worse or the same I'll change more water. I think there is still a possibility that one plant is dying/ browning now at the bottom of it so I'm gonna check. Maybe I'm over feeding ..

What does it smell like? Swampy? Or like rotten fish?

Some smell is normal.

Sounds like you might be overdoing the cleaning, actually, stirring stuff up too much.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

What does it smell like? Swampy? Or like rotten fish?

Some smell is normal.

Sounds like you might be overdoing the cleaning, actually, stirring stuff up too much.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It smells swampy. Maybe it is normal. I never smelled it before but I had mostly only guppy dry before. . Ya I think tomorrow I'm going test it and then leave it be for a week and see what's going on. I will feed them abit less. Might be the sinking pellets I just started using for the plecos

Here's what it looks like now. Not bad a few plants got uprooted again ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430587474.327974.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430587489.178083.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430587513.494751.jpg

Well today I vacuumed the corners
n did a 20 percent water change
and put a new carbon in the big filter. I suspect it's time for me to rinse and change the carbon in the small filter too but i had none left so I'll wait till next week. So the smell is still there but better. Maybe it's normal lol it's not that bad. But I never noticed it before. Maybe because it's hotter in my house than last week. Who knows.

Ohh and then I went out ,got back home and I see at least 8 silver Molly fry. And one guppy fry (that I must have missed when I gave away the 27 guppy fry lol They are the cutest thing schooling together

Back
Top Bottom