Snail Dropping From Tank Glass??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabkiel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! Back at it with more Snail Problems.

So I recently changed the water in my mystery snail's tank and she has been a lot more active (and hungry). She seemed pretty happy, walking around her little toy rock and climbing around, y'know, doing her little snail business.

And then she climbed the glass and just... dropped herself? She seemed to have done it on purpose, because she didn't close her "trapdoor" and when she landed, she just started climbing again.

She (luckily) didn't do it again and she's resting now, I think. I don't understand why she did that, though. Was she upset or unhappy? Is this for fun or something? Did she just slip and I am overanalyzing this? And can she get hurt doing this?

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here... thanks in advance :D

~ Tenshi

In some cases they are looking at trying to find some space to lay eggs above the water line.

Also I have seen some just climb and fall and climb and fall. Maybe trying to get out, get to some food tidbit, maybe fun. Maybe the egg laying thing.

You could always check if it is a female one thing is you may see a dark area in the center offset inside the shell. Other wise there are a few places on the internet which share ways to tell them apart. One way was a gap on the side but I can't recall atm, which that was for.

Pomacea bridgesii is the name for Mystery snails.

Hello!! No worries - as long as she didn’t wince in pain/retract her foot when she let go of the glass, then this is perfectly healthy behavior. Especially when they hit the bottom without closing the trap door - totally just getting down the quick way. I have two mysteries who follow each other around the tank and almost daily I catch them diving onto my moss balls from the glass at the same time! They have quite entertaining personalities, I’ve never owned any snails like them before. Activity at this level is a sign of a happy snail, I actually wouldn’t worry unless they do the opposite and retract into their shells for long periods of time. Hope this helps

Hello!! No worries - as long as she didn’t wince in pain/retract her foot when she let go of the glass, then this is perfectly healthy behavior. Especially when they hit the bottom without closing the trap door - totally just getting down the quick way. I have two mysteries who follow each other around the tank and almost daily I catch them diving onto my moss balls from the glass at the same time! They have quite entertaining personalities, I’ve never owned any snails like them before. Activity at this level is a sign of a happy snail, I actually wouldn’t worry unless they do the opposite and retract into their shells for long periods of time. Hope this helps

Thank you so much! I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, but thank you for this. She's been doing this a little more now, I'm glad to know she's happy! Your snails sound lovely :)

It's been a good while since I've kept snails, but I do remember a snail that would fall from the tank wall all the time after a good resperation. It was like it enjoyed the trip down.

Back
Top Bottom