Snail for my goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there I was just thinking about putting a snail in with my goldfish. I have him in a 4 gallon bowl, 50% water changes at least once a week. Will this be ok? Can and will the snail get out of the bowl? I also have a betta in a 2.5 gal with a live plant same scenario as above.....any advice??

Yes...upgrade them both to proper tanks ASAP. First the goldfish. A bowl is not a suitable home for any pet. It would need way more water changes than that to keep the ammonia in the water down. Is it a fancy goldfish? If so it needs a minimum of 20 gal tank...maybe more I'm not a goldfish expert. It's just swimming around in it's own waste...that can never be OK. The betta needs a minimum of a 5 gal tank, heated to atleast 78F. Then they can both have a snail.

petco's having a sale on deluxe kits with the hood, filter, and heater.

I had a betta in a 10 gal hex and it died. I think it was too much current/depth for him so I thought the bowl would be better and with the live plant I figured this would help. Grrr I guess I will upgrade him to one of those little betta cubes or something. And my goldfish I have had for almost 2 years he's just a plain old goldfish and is very happy and healthy. He out grew the little bowl he was given to me in so I have the 4 gal bowl now. He will be getting the 10 gal upgrade as soon as $ allows.

It just cracks me up that these decorative fish have been kept in bowls for years and years and now all of the sudden they need filtration and heaters. Guess I'm old school.

Fancy goldfish can grow up to 8", common goldfish can grow much larger. What type he is will dictate what tank size will be appropriate. I would make the goldfish your priority. They are very dirty. I don't have experience with goldfish and snails, but a quick search says it's not a great idea. That's what I've found, but maybe our more goldfish-savvy members can help there.
With the betta, I'm not familiar with any betta cube larger than 2.5 gal? Many people say a 5 gal. is a good minimum size for bettas. But like I said, IMO the goldfish is the priority right now. If you could get your hands on a heater and filter for the betta that will be good enough for now. Bettas will sometimes eat snails; It depends on the betta.
Do you have a test kit? If you don't, API Freshwater Master Test Kit is highly recommended. It's actually more economical than test strips in the long run, and is much more accurate.
Good luck and welcome to AA.

Last edited:
Cobaltskyy said:
I had a betta in a 10 gal hex and it died. I think it was too much current/depth for him so I thought the bowl would be better and with the live plant I figured this would help. Grrr I guess I will upgrade him to one of those little betta cubes or something. And my goldfish I have had for almost 2 years he's just a plain old goldfish and is very happy and healthy. He out grew the little bowl he was given to me in so I have the 4 gal bowl now. He will be getting the 10 gal upgrade as soon as $ allows.

It just cracks me up that these decorative fish have been kept in bowls for years and years and now all of the sudden they need filtration and heaters. Guess I'm old school.

I think it was just the Betta itself. A five or ten gallon is the minimum for these fish. Space is not going to kill a fish.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Thanks for all the advice! I have a pair or breeding danios in my 10 gal now.....I was hoping to raise some fry. I may have to scrap that for now and put Ernie the goldfish in there! ;)

Well as funny as it might seem to you, I find it sad these fish are kept improperly by so many.

Well I'm glad I know now...that's why I'm on here! Will he need a heater in the 10 gal? Its currently ~76F now with my current setup or should I take the heater out for him?

Cobaltskyy said:
Well I'm glad I know now...that's why I'm on here! Will he need a heater in the 10 gal? Its currently ~76F now with my current setup or should I take the heater out for him?

They do best up to eighty two. My Betta prefers eighty.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

No I meant for the goldfish, one person said it was more important for the goldfish to be put in a filtered tank......

For the goldfish no, they are coldwater fish (common goldies are actually pond fish). If you can post a pic of your goldie we can help you determine what kind it is. If it's a fancy they are much easier to keep. If it's a common they aren't really practicle pets for most because they need such big tanks :(

Im pretty sure he's just a plain old goldfish, no bubble eyes, no long fins, just orange and cute....he loves attention and acts like a puppy....he literally wags when its feeding time...lol such a personality! :)

How big of a tank are we talking I have a 10 gallon and that's it. My 30 gal is a thriving community and so is my 10 gal hex.......ugh....I thought they would grow to the size of their environment......

So big I can barely even say it! lol Really...no point in having a common goldfish if you don't have a pond. I would take it to a local fish store, they will prob take it and adopt it out for you. A 10 gal tank is not a home for a common goldie. I'm not an expert on them but I think you're supposed to have 125 gals for a pair. I mean they are seriously pond fish. And they produce so much ammonia. In an unfiltered bowl I'm shocked he's lasted this long. If you can part with the goldie, you have the makings of a nice home for your betta. A heated, filtered, 10 gal tank is an ideal home for a betta. What you mentioned before, about your last betta and the current..that is an issue sometimes. I have 10 bettas and this is what I've done with all their tanks and it works perfectly, cheap and easy fix!Filter Currents: A Betta's Worst Nightmare With your betta in the 10 gal you could definitely add a couple large-ish nerite snails or a mystery/apple snail. I find even with my one male who has gotten rough with smaller snails, that he can't really damage the larger ones. Some people add some other tankmates with them as well in a 10 gal but I'm too nervous about that to try. I've tried shrimp but they became snacks :)

Growing to the size of their environment is called stunting. It's a painful stunt in their growth caused by inappropriate conditions. Common goldfish are really pond fish, but are sometimes kept in aquaria in very large tanks. Unfortunately there isn't a very solid guideline for common goldfish. I've heard 55, 75, and 125 minimums. I tend to agree with 125g, but that's JMO. Give him the largest tank you can safely give him.

Edit: FWIW, commons grow up to 18"; I agree with the idea of rehoming.

WOW! I had no idea. Im sad I really don't want to get rid of him :( im hoping I can find someone with a pond...ugh this sux....can I keep him in the ten gallon for now...he's about 3 in long...and im sure he would be much more comfy...ugh

Well keep in mind people come to your fish store to buy fish for their pond so that is essentially what you would be doing..just letting them be the middle man for you ;) For the time you have him, the more room, the better.

Why do they sell goldfish with a dang goldfish bowl if they grow over a foot long!! Omg...im glad im learning. I knew goldfish were dirty but I didn't realize they should be in a pond! Geesh!

Back
Top Bottom