Snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blos85

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im sorry they aint the greatest pics but is this the annoying pond snail?

Attachments

• image-3393870194.jpg
    image-3393870194.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3422145252.jpg
    image-3422145252.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1472937276.jpg
    image-1472937276.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 56
Appears to be. Assassin snails dude. This is an excuse! Lol

Yup... start a dwarf puffer tank and you'll have a constant supply of one of their favorite foods.

Yes it's the dreaded pond snail and where there is 1 in sight there are at least 10 more you don't see.

The best way I ever found to trap them is by taking a glass jar and laying it on it's side on the substrate. Then add an algae wafer. It won't take long usually for the snails to come running. When you get some in there just gently right the jar, remove it from the tank, remove the snails, and put the jar and wafer back in. Just be sure not to put it in at night and get it out in the morning as usually the snails have feasted all night and crawled back into their hidey holes to digest.

Pull them out when you see them, do good gravel vacs, don't overfeed, water changes, etc and they won't be a problem. ;)

Those are too aggresive to put with anything else arent they?

They really belong in a species only tank. Good news is they're tiny and can be kept in a 5 to 10g with good filtration. They do get along with Otos and bumblebee gobies, though.

I kept those pond snails and mini ramshorns in my tanks because they really didn't harm anything, especially the plants. Population only explodes from overfeeding and poor tank maintenance.

Plus, I had my dwarf puffer tank, which I'd feed these snails to them occasionally from my tank that had the snail population.

I have these snails in all my tanks and haven't seen any issues with them, I too have the dwarf puffer tank. All I can get them to eat are snails they won't eat frozen foods been trying many things. I had them at the start of my 20g too when I didn't want snails, I just pulled them out as I seen them and they stopped appearing.

Back
Top Bottom