snail identification??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james01225

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i was given a snail by my friend but i need some help identifying it, i think it might be a apple snail but im not sure. thanks for any help

Attachments

• DSC00210.jpg
    DSC00210.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00211.jpg
    DSC00211.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00212.jpg
    DSC00212.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 85
It looks like a golden apple snail with some algae stains on his shell. I have one who looks very similar in colour. My pleco likes trying to clean its shell. Kinda humourous to watch. Mine was also an orphan given to me to mend its cracked shell.

if it does have algae on its shell is it worth trying to clean it off?

if it does have algae on its shell is it worth trying to clean it off?

No...its most likely a stain or so much on there you would not want to risk damaging the shell. Over time as the shell grows and renews the gold colour will appear on the lip of the growing shell, the part closest to the opening near the body. From the picture, it looks like it may already have started to do this :). Make sure to give your snail good nitrients for shell health such a s spinach and things rich in calcium. If you don't have a big algae problem the shell should begin to show more gold in time. They are really lovely snails.

A standard golden apple snail is pomecea diffusa, with an old designation of pomecea bridgesi. That is the most commonly available snail of this type, but I can't distinguish pomecea species very well.

ive got one just like that... looks exactly the same. funny story but i had a 10g crack on me, so i took the fish out real quick, ran outside with it, had a bucket full of sand with about 2" of water in it, i thought the snail had died so i just stuck it in that bucket. about a month later (last week) i was cleaning the porch and saw it on the side of the bucket, alive. i stuck it back in my 10g and its happy as can be, and green now instead of yellow lol. Mine was called a "Yellow mystery snail" at petsmart, ive had them since they were the size of a penny, now theyre every bit the size of a half dollar

Back
Top Bottom