Snail Identification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as I was looking at my tank tonight I noticed a few small snails, as the only snail in there is a Nerite i literally bought today I assume they came in on the plants. Are these also Nerites by chance or something else?

TsqRANZ.jpg

3boDXDG.jpg

Looks like the common pond snails that found their way into my aquarium. I can't remember the scientific name for them nor find the webpage I used to identify them though. Sorry.

I believe they are pest pond snail. Take it out immediately. I made a mistake one time leaving it in the tank thinking they are cute and they multiplied like crazy. Soon there were hundreds. I didnt want to kill them and so made a snail tank for them. But couldnt control their number in my main tank and they gave me lots of trouble. Now i hate them.

There are folks that will pay money for snails. Puffer food.
I have a few in my tanks. Their numbers never got out of hand. They compete for food with rams horn and Malaysian trumpet snails.
Not overfeeding your fish is one way to help control their numbers.

I didn't have the success controlling them that fresh2o had. It doesn't help that I'm battling algae so there is plenty of food.
I squish them occasionally to provide a snack to my ghost shrimp. That's keeps them in check okay. I'm ready to get rid of them through.

Yeah I'm crushing them as I see them and my Betta seems to love them. Saw him hunting them as well so hopefully he can take a few for me. Worst comes to worse Ill bait them out with some lettuce to control their numbers

Is this a common pond snail

Attachments

• FFBB2C67-5950-4E14-81B2-1F5B9FAC1AE3.jpg
    FFBB2C67-5950-4E14-81B2-1F5B9FAC1AE3.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom