Snail Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurfQ

Aquarium Advice Regular
I stopped into the LFS today to pick up a couple of Apple snails and ended picking up a couple of another type of snail as well. The lady at the LFS did not know what type of snail these guys are. Hopefully, someone here can identify them for me. Here they are along with the Apple snails:

img_755379_0_de533b4647deb7c828d8eb0c819eec74.jpg
[/img]

You're quite welcome. I've never seen them in my LFS either. They are also one of the very few brackish snails as well, incase you wanted to know. :)

I had never seen them around here either until I stumbled upon them about a week ago. It's beyond me how my lfs managed to get a batch of these and didn't even know what they had. I think I'll pop out tomorrow to see if they have any left and get a couple more.

Odd to find something here in Canada that you can't find in the US :D

I picked up four more today. That way I'll have a couple to transfer to my 10 gallon as soon as I get it set up. These little guys are great. And I love the patterns on their shells.

Very common here in Canada, as are a couple of other closely related nerites, such as the 'ruby nerites'. They do breed and lay eggs in freshwater, but the eggs require brackish conditions to hatch and develop.

If you have plans on a planted tank I would highly suggest you pick up a couple more. They are considered to be THE snail to have in a planted tank. They eat dead/dying leaves and algae, but do not damage the leaves of living plants. Most are the ordinary olive nerite that just looks like a pond snail, they also have a staghorn snail that IMO looks VERY cool (has spikes on its shell). You've got quite a find there, and my guess is since the LFS didn't know what they were you could make a pretty penny buying and reselling to other members on here or locally. They are among the most desirable snails, and the tiger/zebra varieties are the most colorful.

I do plan on doing a planted tank with my 10 gallon. Unfortunately, they only had a couple left on Sunday when I bought 4 more. I have my doubts they'll be getting more in anytime soon since they didn't even know what they were. But I'll probably stop in on the way home from work today and get the last couple if they aren't gone. My current 25 gallon has only a couple of plants, since there isn't much in the way of plants that can work with goldfish. But it was really neat to see one of the nerites on a leaf of my algae ridden plant one evening and to look the next day and see that one leaf gleaming clean :D

[quote="7Enigma"the tiger/zebra varieties are the most colorful.[/quote]

Ah, you have not seen the rubies:

Attachments

• 20porzellanschnecken_772.jpeg
    20porzellanschnecken_772.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 24
Well colorful is subjective, but those are indeed VERY cool. :) Wouldn't mind a couple of each in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom