snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lfs accidently gave me a snail when I purchased some mollies. At the time I didn't realize how quickly they would multiply! I have removed them over the last few weeks and have them in a small tank. My question is would it be proper to release them into our local lake or is that considered a no-no? I haven't found a lfs that is interested in taking them. There must be at least 80 of the little things in my snail tank. I am not interested in keeping them but certainly do not have the heart to euthanize them. I am a huge suck in that regard. I just can't do it. Any advice would surely be appreciated!

Get a betta (becareful with your mollies, they may not get along) or a few ottos and you'll be snail free in a few days. The ottos will be more efficient at snail clean up so I'd reccomend them over the betta if you're looking for total de-snailization.

I think you misunderstand me, I've already removed the snails from the tank, they are in a separate tank. I wanted to know if I could release them into the local lake. I don't really want to get a betta and keep him in the small tank, it is only a 1 gal tank and was given to me but I don't keep any fish in it. It has no room for filtration. It's one of those tanks typically sold as a "betta tank". But if I can't release them, I have a 10 gal tank I use for quarantine and I could put the snails and some ottos in there.

the answer if definitely no. never release aquarium fish in local streams/rivers. i'm not saying snails dont have feelings but i would just throw them in the garbage if you really dont want them since they're so efficient that multiplying. do you know anyone with a cichlid tank? they'd probably gladly take them. if you actually like keeping them, you could always just keep them in the betta tank and the population will stabilize.

Get a betta (becareful with your mollies, they may not get along) or a few ottos and you'll be snail free in a few days. The ottos will be more efficient at snail clean up so I'd reccomend them over the betta if you're looking for total de-snailization.

contrary to what purplesmurf said, otos dont really eat snails; loaches, cichlids, and puffers are the most known for snail removal.

Thanks for the reply. I had my doubts about it or I wouldn't have asked. I will check around and see if I can give them away to a friend. If I had wanted to destroy them, I wouldn't have captured them and put them in the betta tank. Like I said, I am a huge suck. :roll:

well... actually most lakes etc already have pond snails. but you could introduce something aquarium fish have been around and are now immune into a wild ecosystem and destroy the world :lol:

but yeah just saying they probably have pond snails but i dont suggest you put them in.

i think some people keep snails in their tanks for algae control (pond) because if they dont have enough food they wont multiply. and yeah..

Back
Top Bottom