Snail reproduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MisFit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a snail about a month ago from a very random fish store on the bad side of town. It's the biggest freshwater snail I've ever seen it's almost the size of a golf ball. About 5 days ago I was putting the snail into my new tank and i found 3 sets of eggs on the bottom of the light hood on top of my 5 gal. I read that some snails lay their eggs above the water line so I thought all was good and i would try and breed them and just see what happens. Then I took them off floated the pods on a sponge in a tiny tank with about two inches of water. And left them they haven't done anything yet. I checked my tank today and the snail is doing it again the only other snails in my tank are generic zebra snails and I don't think they are getting down with the big snail. So my question is cab anyone identify this snail and are these eggs duds unless there is a male to fertilize them or is there some a sexual reproduction going on.
Thanks for your help and here is a couple pics

View attachment 49771

View attachment 49772

Here's another try at the pictures

image-2303137585.jpg

image-2357052995.jpg

I'm guessing that's it a pomacea bridgesii because they are the most common found in pet stores. The Apple Snail (Ampullariidae) Website is an awesome resource for figuring out exactly what you have. I'm not exactly sure what your 'generic zebra snail' is. I can't remember off the top of my head how long snails can hold sperm BUT to be on the safe side, i'd remove the clutches, freeze and the smoosh them. a single clutch can produce a hundred babies if not more. pet stores won't always take them and they're so easy to breed that the market is pretty flooded with them. Responsible fish keeping...

From your description and photographs it seems you have a Mystery Snail (Pomacea Difusa also often referred to as Pomacea Bridgesii) which is a type of Apple Snail in the Apple Snail family.

Female Pomacea Difusa will lay 'duds' or non-fertilized eggs in the absence of any male Pomacea Difusa.

However, they might also be able to store sperm recieved before you bought it. I know Ramshorn Snail and Pond Snail can store sperm for up to 4 months. I'm not sure if Mystery Snails can store sperm, but it seems likely.

So your egg clusters might be 'duds' or they might be fertile. Only time will tell. It takes 2-3 weeks for the eggs to hatch, depending on humidity and temperature. And it seems you are incubating the eggs correctly.

When you say "generic zebra snails" I assume you mean Nerite Snails that have the 'zebra' coloring pattern. And, no, the Nerite Snails won't breed with the Mystery Snail.

The website FastFly67 mentioned (applesnail dot net) is great and has lots of very detailed information.

That's definitely a type of apple snail, also they can store sperm upto 3 months so you may see egg clutches laid every 7 to 10 days, that's what my snail is doing right now. At the money I have 3 apple snails and some 1.5 week old baby snails roughly ten of them.

Back
Top Bottom