Snail Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crud

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to this site and fairly new to the keeping of snails. We have a 45 gallon freshwater tank with two apple snails and at least 15 Japanese Trapdoor snails. All snails have been doing very good for the past couple of months. The Japanese were even breeding and we have moved the babies to two other tanks. My issue is in the last week or so I have seen a buildup of what looks like find white strands of some kind. These are floating in the water, attached to my driftwood and rocks, hanging from the water intake, and stuck to the glass walls as well as from the Apple snail shells. Wondering what this is and should I be worried.

Attachments

• IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 33
From a site called applesnails.com. I'm interested in your predicament, so I looked around a bit.

"So no one knows?
Postby ibeckie on Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:23 am

I've seen that 10 people have viewed my post, but no one has responded! I assure you, this is a real issue that I really need advice on and would appreciate helpful advice!
ibeckie
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Donya on Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:54 am

Keep in mind that the average views per post ratio is about 15/1. Not everybody that reads posts dealing with odd situations knows what to suggest, and I think it's better to not reply than to give misinformation. But...I do have some suggestions.

First, the tank sounds like it needs a water change really badly. How long had you had the shrimp for? Unless you just got it a few days before it died, they are a good (allbeit unfortunate) indicator of water quality, likc canaries in the mines. The white stuff could either be some wierd form of encrusing algae, but it could also be hydras. Is the white stuff hard, or is it soft/slimey? I suppose it could also be some sort of mineral deposit if it's hard...do you use well water for your tank?

Fungus is another possibility, but that I would think would go after your betta preferentially, since finrot and related fungal infections really only occur in the aquarium when they attack fish and in rare cases a snail's foot (but not the shell). Might be a good idea to give your snail the "sniff test" as well if it's not actively walking around.

Check the following things in your tank and post the results:
1. Nitrite, Nitrate, and Amonia levels
2. Ph
3. Copper or other heavy metal presence (if possible to test, if you use a tap water conditioner that removes the stuff then don't bother)
4. What kind of filtration you use, if any
5. How big the tank is and how often you clean/change the water
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of"

Good luck with your issue.

I agree, snails can over produce slime if the water parameters are of, check ammonia and nitrate, when my nitrate was high my snails didn't like it. Give a good pwc.

Well I got up this morning and found the female laying eggs. This would suggest that what we are seeing is sperm. I will monitor to see if the secretions cease. If not I will try to determine if one of them has become hurt. The water parameters are safe so I know it's not an issue there. They are both eating daily - fresh blanched cucumber, spinach, and zucchini. Tank temp is a little lower than I would like to see 75.1 degrees, but all in all snails seem happy.

Thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom