Snail trap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Am going to try & take a more active hand in MTS removal than Assasins & hand picking so l can anyone give me some leads on *traps* preferably ones that won't catch my RCS adults/fry too
Thanks

My snails love cucumber. I leave a slice in and next thing I know, there's a swarm of them on it and the next day the slice has all been devoured skin and all.

Put as much as you think you need to get them all and in a couple hours grab the slice covered in snail and throw away. This isn't a permanent removal since you probably have babies and eggs but at least all the see-able one will be gone.

Boil them. Don't drop them in hot, rinse them with cool water before dropping them in. Dry them to make sure they drop. Sorry, forgot to tell you that part.

I don't do the boiling anymore and just leave the slices open in the fridge and drop them in the next day.

What is harmful about having assassin snails?

What is harmful about having assassin snails?
My tank is being overpopulated with snails. I did not buy them either

It's not the assassins I want gone it's the MTS that the assassins can't get control of because of their large numbers

I had a problem with this long ago. I was heavy handed with the fish chow and MTS were out of control. I had gravel substrate and it boiled with life. I ended up taking everything out of the tank and cleaning it to remove any eggs and then replaced then substrate. Reassembled the tank. I had enough beneficial bacteria in my filter and rocks that i didn’t experience a mini cycle. I had a few pop back up. But I stopped overfeeding and haven’t had a problem.

I thought MTS were live bearers and that means any females left would still reinfest the tank

Any snail has the possibility to infest if they are over fed and have nothing to keep them in check.

Dont overfeed, I even fast a couple times a week (sometimes 3, but not in a row)and my fish are breeding although overcrowded.

Back
Top Bottom