Snails, aaaaahhhhhh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mas YPSI

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just bought a Micro Sword and their are 20-50 egg sacks on it. I really don't want 10,000,000 snails running around. What can I do?

1. Remove as many eggs as you can by picking them off or rinsing them away.

2. Try to not overfeed your tank. Do you have fish in your tank or is it just plants?

3. If you don't want ANY snails I would recommend purchasing some yo-yo loaches.

I had purchased some plants for my 29 gallon tank years ago and the plants were unknowingly hiding snail eggs. When I first started getting rid of the snails I threw out over 350 little ones on the first day and was throwing out 75+ each additional day. I cleaned out my tank after getting rid of ALL of the water, washing EVERYTHING in HOT water, scouring the tank and guess what.... yup still had snails LOL. So I went to the lfs and it was recommended to me to get some yo-yo loaches. I got 2 of them and in under a week ALL of my snails were gone. The yo-yo loaches LOVE eating them. They have pairs of barbels on their mouths that are great for eating the snails out of their shells. This is the BEST thing that I would recomend for a tank to get rid of snails. How big is your tank by the way?

The best way to remove the eggs is under cold running water... Rub the leaves gently between your fingers. Those egg sacks don't like to let go, but they will if you insist. Just don't hurt the plant.

Whenever I get new plants, they go through a pretty thorough rinse and inspection, and still some snails get by...

I say invest in some yo-yo loaches!

I don't usually like the whole 'buy loaches to solve your snail problem' because i think they are one of the most entertaining and interesting freshwater fish to have. I would like to think that the people who buy them to eat all their unwanted snails soon take a liking to them and are glad they bought the fish for the fish itself, regardless of how many snail's are left in the tank. Semi-rant over. :lol:

Also zebra loaches are good for snail problems! :lol:

I would just remove the leaf with the egg sacks on it (there is a chance that you may not remove all of them) and insure there isn't anymore on the rest of the plant. It is a very good thing that you are inspecting your plants. I have received many plants with egg sacks on them and many other things as well. It is better to stop the problem before it starts!

PS: I would also info the person, who you have purchased the plant from, of your findings. I do this in hopes that they will sell better products in the future.

EDIT: I almost forgot, WELCOME TO AA!!

Hey, thanks! How about this? I've done some searching and read that putting a medium size piece of lettuce, at lghts out, in the tank will, Presto, in the morning be covered in snails. This is of course after they have hatched

That method works as well. Actually, it's even better than hiring a "loachinator". By the way, some snails are beneficial to a planted tank (MTS and ramshorns). You will find folks willing to take them off your hands.

Welcome to AA!

When they hatch, they have very distinct characteristics in their shells. The Malaysian trumpets will look like greyish and conical in shape. The ramshorns will look exactly like a rams horn.

I'm trying to breed snails for my Dwarf Puffers. I used to use the lettuce trick in the 29G to remove the snails. Now I use lettuce in the snail tank to FEED the snails - the lettuce is COVERED in snails all the time, so it DOES work. Nuke the leaf for about 10 seconds - that works a little better.
If you do get fish (loaches , etc) to eat the snails be sure they are something that you'd want for the tank - don't get a fish just to solve a problem :)

You could always give the fish away or trade it in to the lfs when it has done its "job". I personally think that yo-yo's are a neat fish and would keep them.

Jchillin said:
When they hatch, they have very distinct characteristics in their shells. The Malaysian trumpets will look like greyish and conical in shape. The ramshorns will look exactly like a rams horn.

also MTS don't hatch, they are livebearers.

rkilling1 said:
Jchillin said:

LOL...neither do ramshorns, they are livebearer's as well. I need some coffee.

Now I am learning things... So those egg sacks are Pond Snails? Are there any good sites / images of baby Ramshorns and MTS? I thought I had strange aquatic insects in my 3g that got redone, but perhaps they were baby snails? Do they have a larvae stage?

Jchillin said:
rkilling1 said:
Jchillin said:

LOL...neither do ramshorns, they are livebearer's as well. I need some coffee.

I believe some ramshorns do reproduce by laying eggs. I will have to research. I will edit in what i find.

EDIT: I can't find anything that says that ramshorns are livebearer's. The Family Planorbidae are egg layers, even the ones sold as Marisa cornuarietis are egg layers as well.

Well this forum is awsome. I go away for a while, and all the stuff I thought to ask is answered. Thanks again.

The snails I "GOT" have a clear shell, a dark/black spot towards the back end, and they are conial in shape. I have a feeling that they are undesirable, because in the day and 1/2 I've had them at least one sack is empty.

My ramshworns are egg layers, by the thousands so I know they lay eggs. You cna also dip the plants youget in something, I think it copper safe or something like that to kill the eggs and snails on your new plant. Then a rinse and the plant is ready for the tank. I don't know for sure what to dip the plant in but hopefully someone else will.

As for loaches, I have 2 Skunk Botia loaches that eat every one I throw in their tanks. Is a great way to get rid of extras and they are really cool. I just wish mine didn't hide all the time.

fish_4_all said:
My ramshworns are egg layers, by the thousands so I know they lay eggs. You cna also dip the plants youget in something, I think it copper safe or something like that to kill the eggs and snails on your new plant. Then a rinse and the plant is ready for the tank. I don't know for sure what to dip the plant in but hopefully someone else will.

Potassium permanganate is what some people dip their plants in before they place them into their tanks.

Well I got some Skunk botias, and now I'm wondering if that was a good choice. They appear to be nibbling on my plants. Is their cause for concern?

Back
Top Bottom