Snails and No Planaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my No Planaria finally arrived and I have a couple of questions
Since the dosinge is for 50L and my tank is 114 how exact do I have to be, is it better to be under or over?
Will this ABSOLUTELY kill all my snails, so a day or two of manually removing as many as I can is in order before I begin to prevent as much of an ammonia spike as I can

I haven’t used this product but I have dosed dog dewormer. if it’s the same thing, I just diluted the powder in water (it’s not super soluble so I used warm water and shook hard)then dosed the correct volume.

I'd be wary incase it does kill your snails as they're really sensitive. It does say kills snails but safe for shrimp. So I would remove them but be cautious when adding them back as the med will still be in the tank. Plenty of water changes.

There's no way i can remove them all so just going to cross my fingers and hope. Time to go buy a supply of replacement water as they will be getting a large WC once the treatment is done. The only bright spot is if the treatment seems to have worked after a week or so they're moving from the 30g tall they're in to 55g so hopefully all goes well

I’m pretty sure it is known that this will kill snails, isn’t it? I’ve even seen reports that the tank is no longer snail safe for a while afterwards.

Unless you’re not that invested in keeping the snails I’d double check on that. You might look into dog dewormer. I think I’ve read that that is safer for snails.

Thanks Autumn but I gave huge apologies to the snails and went for it. I was thinking I had done it until I turned on the lights this morning and there were those **** PITAs all over my front glass. Now I must admit I saw no large ones only a few midsized and a largw bunch of small so maybe it IS working just not as fast as I would like.
This brings me to my next question though. Dosing is - full dose first day, 1/2 dose second day and 1/4 dose 3rd day. Pkg says keep dosing at every 24 hours if Planaria level is high Keep dosing how much?????

Since I do not know enough about this product, can't really say.

But I would do a couple water changes on the tank and then start again. Lots of them dying can cause ammonia spike, which you could check for. It took mine around 24 hours if I remember. One of the other members needed several rounds to get them all.

And also as a side note, moving plants from a not treated tank can move the little buggers around. I found Planaria in my planted bowl which have probably been in there for a couple years now, though just a couple RH snails no shrimp. So eventually I will treat that bowl.

Are these shrimp only tanks you’re working on?

I had them once in a RCS shrimp tank and I tried dewormer but they came back. Overfeeding (in retrospect). What eventually did them in was adding a feeding tray, feeding less and adding a couple baby harlequin rasboras that had been born in another tank. I left them in for a couple weeks I think. I’m sure they probably got a few baby shrimp but nothing noticeable. Probably the worms were easier prey.

Once the worms had been gone for a day or two I took them out so they wouldn’t turn on the baby shrimp in mass but it worked for me. But, like I said, I think the big key is gravel vaccing well to deal with the existing waste and then controlling feeding from now on so they don’t come back.

If you have somewhere else to keep your snails for a while it also might be a good idea to delay their reintroduction to this tank for a while to protect them from the traces of the meds.

Back
Top Bottom