Snails anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen106

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448856146.741991.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's pretty awesome, IMO. How'd you do it, really?

I've recently read about over feeding, so I've cut back from 2x day to every other day. ? May need a couple more bottom feeders!

And that's not even all of them! I killed that many pulling and bleaching all my plastic on my last big trank cleaning! I used to have apple snails too and one mystery snail, but those died off.

I went to my LFS and asked for a couple assassin snails and they have me two tiiiiiny stripy things...I guess I expected something bigger.

I've read loaches love snails, so that's my next acquisition. Wish me luck!

I've recently read about over feeding, so I've cut back from 2x day to every other day. ? May need a couple more bottom feeders!

And that's not even all of them! I killed that many pulling and bleaching all my plastic on my last big trank cleaning! I used to have apple snails too and one mystery snail, but those died off.

I went to my LFS and asked for a couple assassin snails and they have me two tiiiiiny stripy things...I guess I expected something bigger.

I've read loaches love snails, so that's my next acquisition. Wish me luck!

Before you buy any loaches do your research! Not all loaches eat snails as readily. The best snail eating loaches can range in adult size from 4 to 16 inches! The most commonly sold, clown loaches, get enormous! And all loaches need groups of 5 or more! What is your tank size?

"Get some snails," they said. "It'll help with the algea in your tank," they said.

???

Apparently they've just been feasting on the leftover fish food.

55 gallon. I believe Yoyo loaches like em? And don't get so big?

55 gallon. I believe Yoyo loaches like em? And don't get so big?

I would be careful with yoyos. What's your stock like? Yoyos aren't mean but they're incredibly active and boisterous so they can absolutely terrify shyer species. It took our king-of-the-tank angelfish weeks to get used to them.

I would personally recommend angelicus loaches. Maximum size is a little smaller than yoyos (5-6 inches), and they're still very active but much more laid back. Zebra loaches would work as well; they are also more laid back and only get 4 inches.

I've got 4 large angels, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 bushy nosed pleco (blue eyed albino), 1 panda Cory, an African clawed frog, a ropefish, and a huge, jerky Chinese algea eater.

Maybe they could gang up on the Chinese algea eater, he's really kind of a dick.

Chinese algae eaters will eat the slime off of other fish. Get that thing out of your tank before adding any loaches because loaches don't have scales under their slime. You also need to add more panda corys. Aside from that you could do yoyos just fine, except they may be too much for your gourami and/or your frog. I would still highly recommend angelicus instead.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had two CAE. One got ginormous and the other stayed small. The small one disappeared. I suspect the gold clown knife ate it, since eating other fish (or trying to) lead to his demise. But it may have been JAE (jerk algea eater) for all I know. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448911290.877162.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448911322.774621.jpg

I don't have another tank to put him in. :(

And no, I'm not anywhere near NH. Too bad I can't send you some!

I had two CAE. One got ginormous and the other stayed small. The small one disappeared. I suspect the gold clown knife ate it, since eating other fish (or trying to) lead to his demise. But it may have been JAE (jerk algea eater) for all I know. View attachment 281403View attachment 281404

I don't have another tank to put him in. :(

And no, I'm not anywhere near NH. Too bad I can't send you some!

Bring him to a fish store? He could potentially be lethal to every other fish you have. They are aggressive kleptoparasites that don't eat algae but do eat fish slime and sometimes fins and eyeballs Ask anyone who has kept fish for a very long time how many chinese algae eaters they have.... Almost every single one will say "none" and with good reason. I wouldn't add anything to the tank with that in there.

Haha. Apparently I'm the queen of putting random incompatible fish in tanks. A decade ago (when I knew even less than I know now) I had a tank with two angels (that laid eggs constantly) a rope fish, two rubber eels, an elephant nose, a pleco (it was almost a zebra, but I couldn't see paying $60 for it ☹️) a fire belly eel, a silver arrowana, a needle fish, and a frickin' red tailed cat. Of course no one told me the last three would be *enormous* eventually.

I had all these in a 35 or 40 gallon tall tank with an old school under gravel "filter". I think I changed the water twice in as many years. We ended up getting a 150 gallon tank for the big guys. Then I broke up with the dude and had to leave all the fish. Last I heard a few years ago the red tailed cat and the arrowana were still alive and outgrew the 150 and he sold them to the LFS and gave the tank away. Gave. The tank. Away. And not to me. ?

Haha. Apparently I'm the queen of putting random incompatible fish in tanks. A decade ago (when I knew even less than I know now) I had a tank with two angels (that laid eggs constantly) a rope fish, two rubber eels, an elephant nose, a pleco (it was almost a zebra, but I couldn't see paying $60 for it ☹️) a fire belly eel, a silver arrowana, a needle fish, and a frickin' red tailed cat. Of course no one told me the last three would be *enormous* eventually.

I had all these in a 35 or 40 gallon tall tank with an old school under gravel "filter". I think I changed the water twice in as many years. We ended up getting a 150 gallon tank for the big guys. Then I broke up with the dude and had to leave all the fish. Last I heard a few years ago the red tailed cat and the arrowana outgrew the 150 and he sold them to the LFS and gave the tank away. Gave. The tank. Away. And not to me. ?

Well what you've got now isn't too bad! Ropefish might be a little much but eh. Chinese algae eaters are just such bad aquarium fish that it's practically a joke.

So my description of him being "kind of a Jerk" is pretty accurate, then?"

I'll see if either of my LFS want him for credit. I can get some more corys and zebra loaches!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom