Snails at top of Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I realized I had a kink in the hose of my canister filter and released the kink which of course increased the flow of water. Interestingly, all the snails were at the top of the tank the next time I looked at the tank. Since I've never seen the snails move to the top of the tank like this, I'm wondering if it was the increased water flow that caused them to move up? I of course took the opportunity to remove as many snails as I could.

Lance M. said:
Snails only usually move to the top of the tank when the oxygen content is low.

I hate to outright disagree, but that is not entirely correct. A more accurate statement is that snails will move to the top of the tank when the oxygen content is low (and also if the water quality is not to their liking). However, there are many other reasons why a snail will move to the top of the tank: laying eggs, surface feeding, because they feel like exploring, etc. I've had Apple and Malaysian Trumpet snails since my first day, and both kinds have constantly wandered up and down the sides of my tank, and hung out at the top regardless of water quality or oxygen content.

Mitche, what are the snails doing at the top of the water? Also, has the temperature of the water changed since releasing the kink in your hose (snail activity can vary wildly with slight temperature changes)? Based on what you've posted already, I suspect that releasing the kink might have changed the temperature or some other water quality value in your tank slightly, and the snails are just acclimating themselves to the minor change. Then again, they might simply be having a "High Flow Party" up there. :)

Tonight while doing a water change/cleaning, I realized the temperature was too cold. Looks like I lost the heater in the last few days. Maybe even the night before the morning that the snails were seen up to the top. I haven't been in the basement family room in the last few days so its hard to say what day it went out.

Ya mts go to the top at night... and apple snails go to the top to lay eggs.

However, since he said that there was a kink in the hose restricting the water flow that would effect the oxygen content. Thus making the snails move to the top of the water...

[quote="mitche8359] Since I've never seen the snails move to the top of the tank like this[/quote]

Yes they are snails were mts. I don't recall viewing the tank at 5:00 in the morning before. I bet it was the night thing. If I had known that... my snail population would be a lot lower right now.

Back
Top Bottom