SNAILS - Couple Other Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Even though my snails all hatched at the same time, some of them are still very tiny (the size of a green pea) while some are much larger (just under the size of a "boulder" marble) . . . should I be concerned about this? The runts seem to be doing all right and I believe they are getting enough to eat. I feed them freeze-dried shrimp and krill, algae wafers, and bottom feeder tablets. I feed them every two days or so, give or take.

Is there a better diet I can put the snails on, for maximum health and growth?

As always, TIA for any replies :)

I did notice that when I put the cuttle bone in the tank, they grew faster. And the snails in my community tank (that gets overfed) grow WAYYY faster than the ones in my betta tanks.

Thanks for the suggestion! Is cuttle bone something I can get at my LFS or . . . what is it exactly? I've never heard of cuttle bone.

You can get it at the bird section in petstores. It's the central calcium deposit in a cuttlefish(atleast thats what real cuttlebones are). The petstore ones are probably artificial, but meh. They serve as a good calcium supplement.

--Adeeb

Thanks for clarifying that, Adeeb. I'll see if I can pick some up tomorrow at Petsmart. Extra calcium does make sense for their shells.

Back
Top Bottom