Snails in a 3 gallon...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rachelives

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I currently have a 3 gallon tank for my two mystery snails. I was just wondering if 3 gallons was too small for them? Or if it's not, could I maybe get one more? And do mystery snails get along with other snails, like Nerites etc.? Here is a picture of them in their tank.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451257845.222931.jpg

Still waiting for a reply on this :( But I have a new question, would I be able to have a few shrimp in this tank?

I can't tell you how many is too many. I drop algae sticks for my shrimp and whatever they don't scarf down the snails eat, so having enough general tank gunk for them to eat is a non-issue for me. I have kept all sorts of snails together, the only unfriendly ones are assassins.

You can def put a handful of dwarf shrimp or a few Amanos in the 3 gal. Give them a calcium fortified algae stick every few days and they'll be happy. Keep an eye on their numbers if you get dwarf shrimp. They'll breed like it's their job.

I would guess a 3 gallon would be fine for them as long as there is ample food. The only other snail that would be a problem would be assassin snails. But i would not recommend adding others due to the low amount of algae growth in such a small tank.

My parents had a 30 gallon that had a bad case of brown algae, i bought 4 nerites (planned on putting them in my 60g) Put put them in the 30 before moving. Had the tank virtually spotless inside of a week. So even 1 nerite in that tank would need to be supplemented.

As for shrimp i would say sure. Personally i would avoid ghost shrimp as there are plenty of horror stories of people getting some type of prawn that eats fish/snails and other shrimp. Something like RCS(Red Cherry shrimp) would probably be fine but i would maybe put 4-6 in tops. Again most likely having to supplement some type of food, flake/pellets would work for shrimp or even veggies/small piece of algae wafers. RCS breed pretty readily though so within 6 months they could easily need a new tank/outgrow yours.

I supplement my snails already with vegetables and algae wafers, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'll look into the care of shrimp, thank you both!

What could I do to prevent breeding? Would it be possible to ask to get all one gender?

Female mystery snails' spiral is darker where males are a general uniform color. I say general because there are usually variations in color all over :)

Oh I was talking about shrimp but thank you! I never knew that, I'm going to go check out my snail's shells. I assumed they were the same gender because they haven't made any moves on each other ?

Ooh! If you don't want breeding, you can ask for all one gender. It's a little hard to tell when they're juvies, which is the age most places ship them.

If you want to wait for weather to warm, Bpophoto has a load of cherry red males. Apparently, 75df results in a lot of males.

Amano shrimp require brackish water to hatch their eggs, so they won't be able to reproduce if you decide to go with those instead.

Okay, perfect! I will be waiting a long time to get them because I'm low on funds and have another tank to worry about at the moment but I will look into that, thank you so much! :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451344892.062389.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451344906.439882.jpg

I took a picture of both snails side by side, one with flash and one without. I tried to tell if they were male or female but I don't think I'm that good. Can anyone help me out?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451357169.855023.jpg
Is this better? (I have them in another small tank right now because I'm changing around their current tank)

Back
Top Bottom