Snails in plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got plants online 10 days ago. This morning, I have found my first snail. Should I suspect to see more of these? Will they overrun the tank?

I know the picture isn't good. Snail is in the corner of the tank, about mid-level. The snail is about 3-4 mm. It has a an opaque body, clearish shell with yellowish/brown pigment in the rear of the shell.

Attachments

• 20140225_100059.jpg
    20140225_100059.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 71
If fed well (overfeeding fish) then snails will definitely overrun the tank. Remove immediately if you don't want more although it may already be too late. You can keep them under relative control with smaller and more frequent fish feedings.

So I presume they come in as eggs on plants? I don't mind them really, but don't want hundreds of them. I feed my fish 5 days a week, just one meal a day. I don't overfeed. I thought snails ate algae? What is the relationship between fish food/waste and snail growth? Just curious.

Snails are opportunist. They will eat almost anything. Fortunately most prefer algae or fish food. Does the snail you have shaped like a teardrop? Or is it flat on the sides? A small teardrop shaped snail is most likely a pond snail. They will eat algae, fish food, or decaying plant matter. They only become a problem when their is a lot of food present. With your feeding schedule you should be fine. The same with a flat sided snail, ramshorn, shaped like a spiral with flat sides. They only become a problem when you over feed. With pond snails you only need one to make more and they stay small. With ramshorns you need one of each sex to make more. Eggs come in on plants and decor from other tanks. you can clean the plants in chlorinated water and then dip in a hydrogen peroxide dip to kill eggs. Or just put plants in a bucket for a couple of of weeks to see if snails show up. That is what I do.

Snails

I got plants online 10 days ago. This morning, I have found my first snail. Should I suspect to see more of these? Will they overrun the tank?

I know the picture isn't good. Snail is in the corner of the tank, about mid-level. The snail is about 3-4 mm. It has a an opaque body, clearish shell with yellowish/brown pigment in the rear of the shell.

Hello mal...

You likely have Ramshorn snails. The eggs are typically on most aquarium plants. They're the best "cleaning crew" I've ever had. They came attached to some aquarium plants I picked up at the local pet store. These little guys grow to about the size of a dime and eat all forms of algae and dead plant and fish material. I've never known them to damage healthy plants.

Ramshorn are fast breeders, so you can't feed your fish too much or the snails will pile up in the corners of the tank. However, if you feed sparingly like you're supposed to, the snail population is very manageable.

B

Thank you all for the replies. I looked up ramshorn and pond snails. Then I plucked one from the tank and I think they are pond snails. Definitely not a flat-sided, spiral shaped shell. Much more of a teardrop shape with rounded sides.

So, according to this thread, as long as my feeding is done appropriately, their numbers will stay reasonably in check. And, they can even benefit a tank maintenance wise.

Is it reasonable to just leave them be and to cull the numbers a bit as I feel the population is growing beyond what I desire?

Is it reasonable to just leave them be and to cull the numbers a bit as I feel the population is growing beyond what I desire?

Teardrop shaped? Definitely pond snails.

If the breed faster than you would like zap a small slice of zuccini in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Placw the zuccini in a small jar (baby food jar works) and place the jar at the bottom of your tank before bed. In the morning you remove the jar and dispose of the 50+ snails you should have attracted. Repeat as necessary.

IMO the most beneficial snail is the Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS) as they eat decaying organic material such as decaying leaves and alge, and they burrow in the substrate during the day aerating the plant roots. They also breed quickly but are a bit more pleasant on the tank and the eye.

SOunds like a pond snail. They can overrun, but I like them and have never had population problems (knock on wood!)

You could set up another tank with a snail eating fish or assassin snail and feed the extra to them. LOL I have MTS (Multi Tank Syndrome). Another tank has been my answer to almost every problem. My room looks like a fish store. :ROFLMAO: Trying to convince the other house members we need tanks in the living areas but no go yet.

I have never managed to get pond snails. I wouldn't mind them. They do clean the tank. I tend to over feed because of babies in the tanks and my snails grow to large numbers. Luckily the local pet store takes them for feeders. If you feed lightly they stay at decent numbers. Snails always breed and grow with their food supply. If you get too many just cut back even more on food for awhile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom