Snails in shrimp only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just converted my 13 gallon planted tank to shrimp only. I have a pretty good outbreak of pond snails going and want to get it under control. Now that it is shrimp only i wont be feeding nearly as much as with fish. Will this reduced food supply cause the snails to dwindle? Or should i go for an assasin snail to handle it? I dont mind having some snails, just dont want to be overrun. Thanks!

My Neos actually target and eat some of my pons snails. I see their empty shells in a corner of the tank looking like a snail graveyard. I have assassin snails in another tank but would hesitate to add them to a shrimp environment as I've heard some people say their assassin snails ate their shrimp.

Lowering the food in the aquarium will help the snail pop dwindle, but it will not get rid of all of them. What kind of gravel do you have, if its small grain sand you could put it through a shifter to get rid of the snails. And then there is the manual way of crushing them against the glass.
I would not go with the assassin snail because of what cfosgate said, with the assassin snails it is up in the air if they would go for the sails.

Back
Top Bottom