Snails Only Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there such thing as a "snails only tank"? I have just moved my fry from my 5.5g tank and now I have a filter, heater, and extra stuff lying around doing nothing. So I wanted to take the snails from my 20g planted and let them live in my 5.5g. Will they live? What do I feed them? Can they craw out and into my room? Do I need to make a lid for the tank?

They will eat what ever is around--algae waffers, flakes, etc. I would put a lid on the tank. They won't get far out of the water, but to be safe....

I had a snail only tank until adding the Molly. They are fun to watch because contrary to popular belief, they do come out during the day and I have found that mine are more active during the day than at night. They shouldn't get out as long as you have a hood. Good Luck!

Fishyfanatic said:
They are fun to watch because contrary to popular belief, they do come out during the day and I have found that mine are more active during the day than at night.

Where is that a popular belief? Snails aren't nocturnal. They are mostly out all the time- diurnal. You can usually see them all over the place in the day unless they're mts or something like them which stay burrowed in the substrate and occasionally come out.

From what I have read online, snails are nocturnal. I read that they will come out mainly at night. I may have just found a couple bad websites that don't know what they are talking about. I've come to find that there are many of those.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of snails we have. They don't look like Appy Snails, but they don't look like any other picture of snails that I have seen. They were in a big tank that said "SNAILS". The lfs employee wasn't helpful at naming them so I tried doing some research, but still haven't been able to find which ones they are. They are an ivory color with black and pink lines. I'm not sure exactly how to describe the shape of the shell.

Let me introduce myself

Hi I am new to this board. I breed apple snails and have 8 tanks for snails only. I breed brigs, cannas, haustrums, insuls, and asolenes. I think the canas and insuls are my favorites. they are so much fun and fasinating to raise.

Back
Top Bottom