snails snails snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbn1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all , just a small problem with my new planted/ tropical tank
iv made the mistake of letting one or two snails live and now i nearly
have more snail than fish . just wondering whats the best way of getting
them under control

Make sure you don't overfeed. Are they pond snails? They seem to be able to overrun a tank faster than trumpet snails. Assassin snails are an option or you can hand pick them out. You can also lure them into a cup by placing a vegetable inside of it. Take the cup out and repeat. Most people will advise against the use of chemicals.

Massive snail infestation is probably an indicator that you're over feeding your fish. Feed less and there'll be less food left over for the snails.
In terms of removal of the snails you now have in your tank there's two real options as chemicals really aren't the best idea.
1: clip a lettuce leaf or something similar to the inside of the tank before you go to bed and remove it first thing in the morning, along with the numerous snails that will likely be happily munching on it and repeat as necessary until your snail numbers are reduced.
Alternatively

2: depending on your tank size and current stocking level you could introduce new fish to take care of the snails. Gourami's, Betta's, and Yo Yo or Clown loaches would undoubtedly be more than happy to munch away your snail infestation for you, but obviously bear in mind Clown loaches can grow to be well over 12 inches and need to be kept in numbers to be happy. Research the different fish and their needs and see if any could fit in with your current stock.

THANKS everyone for your simple ideas
im not into putting chemicals into my tank
if i dont have to will try all of your tips

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom