Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwe_ch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that I have rehomed my clown loach, my 230l tank has a snail problem. These are the flat ones that I have (name?) and they must have come in with a new plant that I got about a month ago.

I am going to try the usual lettuce/cucumber and snail traps, but anyone have other ideas? I don't want an assassin snail (don't think I could find one here in Switzerland anyway) and would prefer not to buy more loaches to replace the one I gave away.

I have swordtails, ruby-nosed tetras, cardinals and neon tetras in the tank.

Thanks

Well this sounds bad but I just squish the babies lol. I also have a puffer who I feed them to (that's why I got snails in the first place, but they are all over now) Also I gravel vac them out. It's kind of fun ... I don't feel bad about anymore because it is population control. Can you get a pic of them? I didn't know snails could be flat ;)

I pretty much just trapped them, gravel vac them out etc. They can get a bit out of control at times but if you trap a bunch and remove all that you can see by hand...then cut down your feeding they should slow down their reproduction a bit....I never could figure out how to eradicate them completely without adding some kind of small loach though...there are snail traps out there that are plastic boxes that you bait...they can get in but not back out again...it's a thought.

Back
Top Bottom