Snails...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goxgetxfat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
EDIT: Ugh, I'm sorry. I misread this forum and thought it was "Freshwater". >.< Sorry. This is a Freshwater snail that I'm talking about. That was my mistake.

I did a horrible "first owner" thing the other day. I was in the pet store buying the grass for my aquarium (I'm pretty experienced with aquarium plants and a majority of fish), and I saw a snail. I don't know what impulsed me to adopt a snail that day, but I did.

After bringing the little guy home, I now realize that there's more to know than it's scientific nature (I studied marine snails briefly in a class). Lately he's been digging holes in the gravel, staying closed up in his shell for long periods of time, and only barely coming out of his shell. I don't know if this is normal behavior for a snail. This snail is a black snail, I believe it's the Mysterious Snail... but it was so impulsive, I don't even know what kind it is! I feel horrible, because it's really not like me.

Anyways, I'd really like a little bit of an update about snails if anyone knows of them. And my friend was talking about how some snails can reproduce asexually, claiming that she bought one snail one day, and a week later she had a surprising egg sack.

Also, he normally shuts his "door" shut, but right now it's sort of half way open, half way closed. I don't think he's dead, because he was literally happy as can be two minutes ago, and before it was shut completely tight. I don't know... I'm just so lost with this and I should have researched a bit before getting one. =/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
And my snail shares a home with a Beta in a three gallon tank.

Welcome to AA! :)

Don't beat yourself up too bad for the impulse buy. Most of us have chosen worse at some point of our aquarium careers.

If the foot is half open, it doesn't sound good. Disturb it, if the door doesn't close, it's dead and you need to get it out of the tank before it fouls.

Welcome to AA! :)

Don't beat yourself up too bad for the impulse buy. Most of us have chosen worse at some point of our aquarium careers.

If the foot is half open, it doesn't sound good. Disturb it, if the door doesn't close, it's dead and you need to get it out of the tank before it fouls.

So I took your advice and sort of tilted it slightly and I see a piece of gravel stuck between the door and the actual snail. I'm not saying that I'm not comfortable with touching the snail, however, I don't know how to remove that piece of gravel without hurting the snail. I don't want to pull it out... you know? But the snail doesn't seem slinky. I looked up how snails look when they're dead and they're sort of loose-fitted in the shell. This one looks like he's still holding on tight.

Or a long dowel so that you don't even have to get your hand wet. Hopefully it's hanging on and makes it. If you're not sure, seperate it into a container with some tank water. At least then, your betta won't be at risk if it is dead. Dead snails can foul a tank pretty quick.

Would it hurt to just leave the snail in overnight and see if he changes or adjusts over night? And if he hasn't moved to call it the end? Or would it really foul up that quickly?

Or a long dowel so that you don't even have to get your hand wet. Hopefully it's hanging on and makes it. If you're not sure, seperate it into a container with some tank water. At least then, your betta won't be at risk if it is dead. Dead snails can foul a tank pretty quick.

What kind of container? I don't want my snail to escape if I put him in a cup... you know? Is a tubaware or a sealed closed container okay? Or do they need that air circulation? Sorry, that seems like a stupid question...but I don't know the answer to that.. =/

Would it hurt to just leave the snail in overnight and see if he changes or adjusts over night? And if he hasn't moved to call it the end? Or would it really foul up that quickly?

Most likely, it won't hurt a thing. They do go from dead to rapidly decomposing quickly though.

What kind of container? I don't want my snail to escape if I put him in a cup... you know? Is a tubaware or a sealed closed container okay? Or do they need that air circulation? Sorry, that seems like a stupid question...but I don't know the answer to that.. =/

No stupid questions... or at least, that's not one of them! lol

They will crawl out if they can, anything with a lid and holes should work. If it's just overnight the holes are probably optional.

I think he's still alive...

I took a little end of a straw and tried to just knock out (gently) the piece of gravel but the snail ended up wrapping up with the gravel inside. The door isn't completely shut, but it's more shut then it was before. I think he's just getting ticked with me constantly prodding him to see if he's alive.

And his antenna keeps coming out. So he has to have some control over that, right?

Definitely. Sounds like he may be alright and just getting used to the new digs. Keep a close eye on him, but I think it'll probably be a false alarm.

Back
Top Bottom