Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacqueline13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've counted about 5 little brownish snails in my 10 gal tank. Are they ok to have around?

Homedog98 said:
Umm... Uh oh... Could you get a pic? What are they're shells shaped like?

I tried to put a pic but it gave me an error.
They're cone shaped.

Jacqueline13 said:
I've counted about 5 little brownish snails in my 10 gal tank. Are they ok to have around?

It sounds like pond snails. A picture would help though.

If you don't over feed, it will help keep population in check. Another trick is to put a piece of lettuce in the bottom and take it out a few hours later. It will be full of snails, and you just throw it away.

Most likely you will want to remove them because they will breed like crazy. Did you get any new plants lately?

Jacqueline13 said:
I tried to put a pic but it gave me an error.
They're cone shaped.

Sounds like either ramshorns or Malaysian trumpet snails... As betta said, you can keep the population in check by not overfeeding. The MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails) and the ramshorns are MUCH better then pond snails... So be thankful for that. Did you add any new plants recently?

Fishkeeper26 said:
Most likely you will want to remove them because they will breed like crazy. Did you get any new plants lately?

I have an anacharis but it's not recent. Thats it though

Sounds like they've been hiding out for a while. You'll quickly find you have way more then 5...

I had the same problem in one of my aquariums, it got to the point where I had to scrub everything, remove everything (plants and rocks) to get them all out and all their eggs out

Homedog98 said:
Sounds like either ramshorns or Malaysian trumpet snails... As betta said, you can keep the population in check by not overfeeding. The MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails) and the ramshorns are MUCH better then pond snails... So be thankful for that. Did you add any new plants recently?

Actually the shell is barrel shaped. I looked it up :)
It wasn't either of those snail :/

Fishkeeper26 said:
I had the same problem in one of my aquariums, it got to the point where I had to scrub everything, remove everything (plants and rocks) to get them all out and all their eggs out

Are they bad or something?

Idk if they are actually "bad" for your tank, but they get annoying because you find them everywhere

Jacqueline13 said:
Are they bad or something?

If they're numbers get too big, they can literally take over the tank, causing unsafe increases in ammonia, and overstocking. Also, dependent on tank size, you can add some species of fish that can take care of the problem for you. Assassin snails work better for smaller tanks.

Homedog98 said:

I found them. They're tadpole snails

Cone-shaped is more like Malaysian Trumpet than pond snail. Cute little buggers. You can remove them by hand or leave them; they're harmless.

Edit: Sorry, only saw the first page of this thread. Please ignore.

Back
Top Bottom