Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_the_shark

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I put in some plants in my tank a few weeks ago and i noticed there are now snails inside too. Does anyone know what type of snails they are? Are they considered pests?1489656997271.jpg

Hi everyone! I put in some plants in my tank a few weeks ago and i noticed there are now snails inside too. Does anyone know what type of snails they are? Are they considered pests?View attachment 296330
Most plants that you buy will come withq 'tagalongs' some consider them pests, others consider them as pets or a clean-up crew.it honestly depends if you are up for a LOT of snails in your tank, otherwise get 'em outta there!

Most plants that you buy will come withq 'tagalongs' some consider them pests, others consider them as pets or a clean-up crew.it honestly depends if you are up for a LOT of snails in your tank, otherwise get 'em outta there!
Ohh I see. Yeah I think they started laying eggs. What about malaysian trumpet snails?

Personally I don't mind them; your pic isn't clear but they are probably either pond snails or ramshorn snails, which only eat plants if the plant is dying. They do reproduce very quickly but if you don't overfeed your fish they shouldn't overpopulate, but I guess your view on this depends on how many snails you would consider too many.
Frankly they are so hard to avoid that I find it better to just relax and go with it. They don't hurt anything. Even if you dispose of the visible snails, it's very likely that there will be eggs somewhere. Some people find it worth it to keep disposing of them, because they are really bothered by snails in their tank. Me, I just live and let live. ? It's up to you.

Personally I don't mind them; your pic isn't clear but they are probably either pond snails or ramshorn snails, which only eat plants if the plant is dying. They do reproduce very quickly but if you don't overfeed your fish they shouldn't overpopulate, but I guess your view on this depends on how many snails you would consider too many.
Frankly they are so hard to avoid that I find it better to just relax and go with it. They don't hurt anything. Even if you dispose of the visible snails, it's very likely that there will be eggs somewhere. Some people find it worth it to keep disposing of them, because they are really bothered by snails in their tank. Me, I just live and let live. ? It's up to you.
Ahh I see. Yeah I dont mind snails, as long as they dont hurt my fish

Got hundreds in a 10g no flora or fauna dead yet. On flip side tank/substrate is clean as whistle. Cant ever hardly find dead leave. Do I feed them...nope. Valuable asset to a planted tank imo.

Got hundreds in a 10g no flora or fauna dead yet. On flip side tank/substrate is clean as whistle. Cant ever hardly find dead leave. Do I feed them...nope. Valuable asset to a planted tank imo.
Nice. That's a relief to hear. ?

Back
Top Bottom