Snails....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the snails have taken over....

I daily scoop out 30 or 40 of them but more of them just come outta the wood work.

I used to have puffers who took care of them, but my problem is now that I go away and leave the tank for multiple weeks at at time. Fish that eat flake and pellet food do fine as I can set-up automatic feeders, however puffer fish eat only live food, which can't be automated.

So... I need recomendations on a fish to help me keep the population of snails down. I know Clown Loaches will do it, with my small 55gal aquarium which is alredy fully stocked, a potentially 1ft fish just wont fit happily, let alone the two you are suposed to have.

Anyone have any other recommendations for fish? Till then I will continue my net-o-snail-death...

SparKy697 said:
Check out http://www.loaches.com/

A zebra or a yoyo loach might work for you. You might also consider adjusting the amount of food you are giving. Snails reproduce in proportion to the amount of available food.

I'm working on that now, my fish only get fed every other to thrid day and its regulated. A problem is I have a shoal of corries who need to fight the snails for the sinking food.

Another issue i have discovered is that my fish splash me when i walk by and they haven't been fed in a while.... and since they are right next to my bed and stare me down when the lights are on... i sometimes get wet in bed. Either way, I'm working on less food :)

lol, those are some demanding fish!

I have a similar issue with my cories and snails. I have found that if I break up an algae wafer and scatter it in the tank, the snails will have every piece covered in an hour or so. Once they are all busy I throw a couple more broken wafers in and the cories seem to have a much better time getting to them.

Who would ever guess how hard it is to feed less! It seems so un-natural to us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom