Snowflake eel in 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkid16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was thinking about putting a small snowflake eel in a 10g saltwater tank but could I do that?

I mean... it would fit... not really an ideal habitat for an eel though. Is 10 gal your max ?

Absolutely not. These eels have the smallest size requirements of any eel that I'm aware of, and that is a 55 gallon. Eels are very messy eaters. Even if the size factor didn't come into effect, how they eat fouls up the water column easily and will cause parameter issues quickly.

So I also have a 20g nano but it has some clowns that he could it but they do host a anemunie (pardon my spelling) and they could hide in there but I don’t no and the 10g there’s nothing in it and has great places were it could hide in

And the thing is I’ve always wanted an eel Even before I started the hobbie (which was 3 years ago) but like is there any other eels that would fit or at least a can do for like a month?

No eels belong in nanos, as hank said snowflakes are the smallest and I wouldn’t put one in anything smaller than a 40 breeder.

Even if there was a tank large enough, keep in mind that eels that end up getting hungry WILL make a snack of any fish that they deem to be of the size they can fit in their mouth.

Although they aren't the same as an eel, check out some of the Gobies depending upon the type, many are okay for a 20G and very fun to watch. My favorite little fish is a Yellow Clown Goby. Friendly, comes over to the side of the tank to say hi- oh I mean to get fed!!!

But I am meaning a Goby which lives in the lower part mostly.

These move all around the tank though and don't hide as much as an eel might, plus so small and good for a nano tank. A couple you can find captive bred are Elacatinus figaro and Elacatinus oceanops and a fun one Elacatinus oceanops x E. figaro.

This one looks a lot like a tiny eel
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1536+3035&pcatid=3035
https://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=nano fish&af=cat1:marinefish

Um... snowflake eels get two feet long... that is way too cramped! It will most likely stress the eel into starvation.

I have a 20 gallon and have the eel itch too. However I have been looking at getting a golden dwarf eel that only gets to about 10-12 inches... they are expensive and not easy to come by... but even with my 20 gallon I am having a hard time trying to justify my eel desire with my current set up. (My 3” tiger cowrie looks cramped in my tank, I now can’t imagine stuffing an eel in there too!) IMG_5152.jpg cowrie is on the back wall.

Back
Top Bottom