So far so good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Qtank is running now for 6 days with 5 danios....tested water this morning and so far everything is perfect! Wish I could say that for the 29 gallon. Ammonia a tad high nitrates low,nitrites STILL threw the roof....so I think I am going to send for some Nitra sorb!I have tried changed water until I think that I will be the HULK soon. I am going to do ONE MORE 20% change and let it go....I know I keep saying that.....its so hard I worry about their little fishy lives :( I dont know what to do. Need an opinion here!LOL Change or not to change that is the question? :sorry: Or just leave it alone and not add nitra zorb or add it????HELP!!!!

Steady As She Goes

Since your tank is going through its natural cycling process, you could consider leaving things as they are. Danios are perhaps the most common "first fish" in new tanks. They are very hardy and can take a fair amount of stress; e.g., high nitrites! If anything, you could consider adding Bio-Spira to your tank. It's nitrifying bacteria and will greatly assist you in the cycling process. One thing, though, do not add any more fish until your NO2 and NH4 levels are 0. Also, avoid any water changes until at least one month goes by. Your bio-filter needs to build up the beneficial bacteria and excessive water changes will only slow that process down.

Okay, I'm confused. Are your danios in the 29 gal or in a different tank? If they're in a different tank, what do you have in the 29 gal and what kind of set up do you have? Maybe I missed it before, if I did I apologize. With more info, maybe we can help.

1 quarantine tank with 5 danio....1 29 gallon with a kissing fish, 5 tetra, 1 cory , one sucker,2 velvet swordtail. Qtank water is perfect for 6 days so far. 29 gallon with a 30-60 filter and has all sorts of problems then got lined out and then I made a mistake of putting a feeder block in while on vacation. Since then (3 wks) ago have had crazy water. Have been doing regular water changes in the 29 to get the nitrites down but has not seemed to work yet. Seems no matter what I do they stay high....everything else seems pretty good. I did a 20% water change a little bit ago and I will check the water again in the morning to see what is happening. I have did the 20% before only to have th nitrites and nitrates go threw the roof. I have had our tap water checked. Perfect! Havent been feeding daily trying to get the nitrites to 0 and the only things that I have added is stress coat and some salt for stress. Beginning to wonder what the deal is. We have had the tank up and running since the last of June. But at one time the water was perfect but dont have a clue to what is going on now. Everyone keeps telling me something different. Someone even told me to take all of my fish out and put them in the 10 gallon qtank and it hasnt even cycled yet! I do believe I am going to buy some nitrazorb and see what happens there. I have tried everything else but shoot the fish!lol

Have you tried patience? LOL....sometimes things just take time!!!

My new tank cycled in a short amount of time (2 weeks or so), but suffered a setback when I upped the bioload, and argh...it's taken about 5 weeks to get the parameters back to an acceptable range!

If i were you, I'd just stick with the water changes + salt. Adding ANY chemical can really throw things off!

Of course, that's just me though! good luck :)

Adcisco, I agree with sweets. It sounds like you've had a mini-cycle happen and thats pretty normal especially as you add fish. The salt is a great idea, it will help keep the fish calm and as long as you are doing water changes (10 % weekly is sufficient) and keeping the tank clean, I think you will be okay. It sounds like your problem is mainly with Ites and not ammonia. That being the case, your bacteria is doing its job, its breaking down ammonia into nitrItes which will eventually break down into nitrAtes which then are removed when you do water changes. Just maintain you tank and don't add more fish until your water parameters are consistently 0.

I hope this helps! :D Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

But the thing is it was doing this before I added the last fish. Nitrites are always high. I can do a 20% change and they are still high...I mean they DO NOT go down! And then sometimes when I do the the 20% change the nitrates go high right alone with the nitrites. It just makes no sense to me. But I checked water again this morning and the nitrates where threw the roof again! Everything else seemed pretty normal. I just dont get it! I guess I am just impatient but I just dont understand why they are staying so high even after water changes.

how high are they?

are they reading "off the chart" on your test?

what type of test are you using? have you taken a sample to the lfs to see if it agrees with what you're getting?

I guess it could be a possibility that your test is off....the colorimetric tests are always a little sketchy (any test that relies on human perception of color is a little sketchy....but they are well accepted)...sometimes you just need to look at it as it's testing positive....or in the case you get a BIG color change...it's testing high.

Doing the water changes really slows down the growth of the bacteria, esp in a newer tank like yours....but it's necessary to prevent nitrite poisoning.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about your nitrAtes for now...they aren't going to be what kills your fish, and they're going to jump around a bit until your tank is stabilized. And the difference between what's happening in your tank now, and your original cycle, is that you already have the bacteria, you already have ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in your tank....so the whole "when you see 'ates" thing isn't really relevant.

Lets but it this way the nitrites are as high as they read on the chart.Nitrates arent high enough to really worry about its just those darn nitrites. :( I guess I will try and do another 20% water change. This tank has given me such a headache that it is all I do it try and take care of it.

The reason you keep getting high Nitrites even after water changes, might be because the levels are higher than your test's can read.

Just keep up with the water changes! Have faith in the bacteria! They WILL show up, and your nitrites WILL drop!

I know it's hard not to get discouraged....but a test is just a test....if your fish are still all doing fine, then you're doing a great job, and keep it up!

ps...are you doing the changes daily? you might want to try doing a smaller change more often (10% or so, daily) until there is a definite drop in levels that LASTS...then you can ease off to once a week or so. The only reason I suggest daily changes is because it sounds like your nitrite levels are pretty durn high, not because it'll make the process any faster....in fact if your levels are off the chart, it might take a good chunk of time to bring 'em down.

But again, have faith! The bacteria will get their lazy butts in gear and do their job! And your fish are tougher than we give 'em credit for :)

Actually, the conversion process CAN stall at the nitrite level (NO3->NO2) and that sounds like whats going on in your tank. I normally don't recommend this, but I would do a HUGE water change, like 50-75% All that nitrite is preventing things from moving on. I'd also grab some Bio-Spira if you can and add that after the big water change to help jump start the cycle properly. Also, how well aerated is the tank? Increased oxygen levels may also help here.

HOWEVER! Before taking such a drastic measure, have the levels double checked by a lfs or a new nitrite test. Since nitrites are deadly to fish, and will suffocate them it SHOULD be having some effect on your guys. Yet they seem to be doing ok.

Also, do you add salt to the tank water? Salt IS the treatment for nitrite poisoning; the chloride ions compete with the nitrite at the gills and keeps the fish from suffocating. If you are adding salt, that may be what's keeping your guys alive (assuming of course, the test isn't wonky).

*bows*

Its one of my fav words, along with brilliant and thingie LOL

Wow. I'll have to remember that one. I call my daughter an upysideydowny trashy puppy...but wonky is a new one!!! I agree about the super water changy thingy. That should get things underway.

I have been trying to do about a 20% change everyday or every other day. All in all the fish seem fine and frisky. I just add some aquarium salt to try and ease any stress. And I was also wondering about how often I should do that? I sure dont want to over do it! I wish that the bacteria would get its butt in high gear because I am worn out from water changes!lol Pretty soon I will be able to enter the Miss Universe Contest! Gonna have the muscles of a man! :lol:

Let me add one more thought here....or two or so....First, I agree with Alli on the huge water change thing. Maybe you have hit one of those walls in the cycling you just have to climb over. Second, did you do a natural cycling or are these the fish you have been cycling with? And what kind of filter do you have?

I'm curious before you do this huge water change. If these are the fish you have been cycling with or if your tank did one of these really fast fishless cycles, I would do a huge water change and add Bio-Spira immediately after adding the fresh water.

As for the aquarium salt, it should say somewhere on your carton to add 1 rounded tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons of water. Once you've added your initial salt treatment you should just treat the fresh water you put in during your water changes. Simply because aquarium salt doesn't evaporate. It stays in your water and you don't want to overdo it.

Hopefully this will be of more help.

Well....we have had many fish die....but as of 3 weeks ago the water was fine for the first time. Perfect everything! And at that time we had 5 tetra, 1 cory , 2 velvet swordtail and 2 danio And have none die since before then. Now there is minus 2 danio add one kissing fish and one sucker this past monday. Hubbys idea for the sucker...told him not too that I thought we needed to wait till water was right but I went ahead and took my sister in laws kissing gourami to save it from her parahna!

I have a whisper 30-60 that has really made a huge change in the clearness of the water and I think it is more efficient than the cheapo that had come with the aquarium.

I sat up a (10)qtank last week and have also had conflicting answers on wether or not to cycle it or not. I had 2 danio so I went and bought 3 more and they are now all in it living a very happy life! Water is perfect in it.

I was wondering about Nitra zorb...if it would do the trick or am I just gonna have the same problem again after I take it out of the tank? I dont know if we can even get Bio Spira here. Not many petstores around. I have had to send away to get most of my testing supplies.

I didnt have a clue to the salt. I knew how much to use but it doesnt say when to add it....like at water changes or just some everyday. Thank god I do alot of water changes and only add salt then! When I changed the water last night I added some stress coat.....was told not to use stress zyme that it was the wrong kind of bacteria and would just make matters worse. I didnt change the water today. I just decided to leave it and see what happens....but I know if I check the water and it is high nitrites I will want to change some. :fadein: Its just so confusing when you are new at something. I am a cross stitcher not a fisher woman!LOL

Where you from in KY? I am on the border of KY, OH and WV.

*grins* Oh, you'll be a fisher women before long; you already are starting to suffer from MTS (multiple tank syndrome) which is the hallmark of every obsessed aquarist ;)

If you can't get Bio-Spira where you are (call around and save yourself the drive *grin*), pop on over to www.fishgeeks.com and private message Bernie. He's one of the moderators/advisors there, and ships Bio-Spira all over the states at a VERY reasonable price.

Do make sure, when you are adding salt, you are only adding enough to the NEW water (ie: if its 1 tsp for every 5 gallons, and you only change 5 gallons, you would use only 1 tsp). I am just not clear if thats how you are doing it, so I wanted to mention it; if you add enough for the entire tank each time, your salt levels are going to be thru the roof!

Well checked it again and the nitrtrites were high....maybe not quite as high as they were but still WAY too high. Everything else is perfect....So I guess I am off to get the FISH ONLY bucket and my cyfon and my 2 gallon bucket for another 20% change......Man this is getting old....I'm gonna go get some nitra zorb!!!!LOl I think I am getting lazy :lol: or is it just impatient...I think its both! I just dont want to kill my babies! Huband is going to have a cow when he finds out I changed water again! :wink:

Oh and by the way.....the sucker fish went to fishy heaven last night and of course my daughter noticed it as soon as she was out of the bed! Thats why I have the smiley and the toilet up there.....seems like that is the porcelin church for fishy funerals!lol I dont think he was healthy when the dear husband got him....but what do I know? Told himnot to get him!

Back
Top Bottom