So I'm finally starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't add it to the filter just add a bit at at a time well stirring. I think it would be best to take the rock out as well. Easyier to stir in. It's usually a half a cup of salt to one gallon of water hope that helps. :)

Ok the hob thing was just a thought and I have 2 240gph power heads in there now so hopefully that will help with the mixing

So I have no experience using filter floss how long do tanks usually take to clear up? I prewashed the sand but the tank is still very cloudy

The filter floss is working like a charm. What do you think?

Attachments

• image-1564653478.jpg
    image-1564653478.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 157
Nice aquascape

Are u getting live rock to seed those ?

For starts I'm going to try bio spira and if that doesn't work then I will seed im trying to avoid hitch hikers

For starts I'm going to try bio spira and if that doesn't work then I will seed im trying to avoid hitch hikers

you can cycle the tank with a raw shrimp. dont use live rock to seed, its faster but just adds pests that we dont want. Bio-Spira worked really well for me but I think its because of the way that I used it. I called the company that makes it and asked them if it converted ammonia into nitrites and they said no that Bio-Spira is the bacteria that converts Nitrites to nitrates. So I tossed a raw shrimp in my 40g (with just base rock, Same rock you have) and I waited till my ammonia spiked and after it spiked I waited to get a Nitrite reading. When i got a nitrite reading I added the spira and with in 1 week I was cycled. Worked liek a charm and I would do it again. Just dont add it from the start because its just a waste of the bottle. If theres no nitrite to feed on the bacteria will just die out before you get a chance to have your nitrite spike.

CleverBs said:
you can cycle the tank with a raw shrimp. dont use live rock to seed, its faster but just adds pests that we dont want. Bio-Spira worked really well for me but I think its because of the way that I used it. I called the company that makes it and asked them if it converted ammonia into nitrites and they said no that Bio-Spira is the bacteria that converts Nitrites to nitrates. So I tossed a raw shrimp in my 40g (with just base rock, Same rock you have) and I waited till my ammonia spiked and after it spiked I waited to get a Nitrite reading. When i got a nitrite reading I added the spira and with in 1 week I was cycled. Worked liek a charm and I would do it again. Just dont add it from the start because its just a waste of the bottle. If theres no nitrite to feed on the bacteria will just die out before you get a chance to have your nitrite spike.

Thanks for that I was just going to dump it right in, so toss in shrimp wait for nitrite reading, monitor params and do pwc add fish ... I think I got it

So dumb question, where does the ammonia to nitrite bacteria come from?

Thanks for that I was just going to dump it right in, so toss in shrimp wait for nitrite reading, monitor params and do pwc add fish ... I think I got it

So dumb question, where does the ammonia to nitrite bacteria come from?

Ammonia will come from the decaying shrimp. Really ammonia comes from decaying waste. Nitrite is the product of the bacteria in your live rock when they take in the ammonia and then they produce the nitrite. Then the same process happens again with another type of bacteria that takes in the nitrite and converts it to the nitrates.

And another question I forgot to ask. Since I used dry base rock only I don't have to "cure" it correct?

So initial readings after about 8 hrs

Sg 1.022-1.023
Ph 7.5
Ammo .5-1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

My pH seems really low what would cause that?

Also I was doing some reading and since I don't have any algae there's no photo synthesizing going on

Your rockwork is great! And just BTW, don't leave your lights on for the cycle, it'll only encourage algae growth. You probably only had them on for the pic, just wanted to be sure you're aware. Good job!!

Thanks beengirl and yeah I don't leave the lights on, I can't wait to get actual lighting that is just a standard Aqueon hood. But I figured for cycling and first few fish it won't matter

Back
Top Bottom