So it's been a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfgate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Roughly thereabouts, it's been a year since I started my tank. I still have the original fish I started with, minus a few of each type that didn't make it this long for one reason or another. The neon tetra, specifically. i have 3 left of the 7 I started with. I lost 2 danio. Otherwise, it's doing great. Yes, I know I have to add to their numbers. Which is the reason I'm posting.

How can I restock to add to the ones I already have? My neon tetra are at least 4X the size of the ones I would buy new, so would the new ones just become food? I really don't want that. I have a dwarf gourami, and, of course, zebra danio, as well. Those tiny little tetra in the store look very vulnerable. :(

Neon tetras don't have a mouth big enough to swallow a smaller tetra, unless they're fry (newborns)?
I can't comment on aggression which could be another problem.

A good option, if you are able, is to get a small QT tank. It is always a good idea to have a QT tank for any new additions, but I understand that not everyone has this option. The QT tank could also be used as a grow out tank until the neons get bigger, then you can add them to your main tank (this is what I do).

I just successfully added 5 small rummynose tetras about a week ago to my main tank to add to the 3 I already had. They are all doing well with no issues. The tank houses angels and denisoni barbs (torpedo barbs). I put them in during feeding time, and while I did notice the barbs would chase them initially, (probably saw them as food), it subsided within a few minutes. Maybe the barbs saw them as food since they were introduced during feeding time, who knows. Another thing I noticed is that aggression is greatly reduced when I add new fish when the lights are off. I honestly do not think you will have an issue, but the gourami may be. All depends on their temperament/personality. I've kept neons with a dwarf gourami, but mine was very passive.

Hope everything works out for ya!

Yeah, I definitely want a qt tank. My daughter has a 10 gallon (?) that I used to use before she got her golden wonder killifish. I might have to pick something up, because I don't want to introduce anything to my aquarium. Growing them in there might be a good idea, because the ones in the store looked so small compared to mine, I don't know if the danios or the gourami would take after them. Normally, the gourami is pretty cavalier about everything going on, but it does occasionally have enough of the danios and chases them off. Maybe introducing them in the evening would be the best idea.

But, overall, I think I'm going to invest in a new, smaller tank for qt and growing. Good idea. Thanks. I haven't had time at all since starting a new job almost a year ago and I'm finding a need something to get my mind off of work. It was right in front of me! So I'm diving back into my aquarium, so to speak.

Yea a QT is the way to go. Look online for some good deals on used tanks/equipment. I have 2 spare 10g tanks, but I don't think we're local, otherwise I'd give you a good deal on one.

I agree, tanks are a great way to relieve stress. Sometime I find myself just staring at my tanks haha.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom