so ive decided to redo my old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fitzgeraldkevin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yes. I know, its a 5 gallon. But unfortunately my current living situation prohibits me from adding anymore tanks. So this old tank is what I have to work with

ForumRunner_20120818_191325.jpg

Its filled with algae, and overstocked with corydoras.

ForumRunner_20120818_191418.jpg

Though all of which are pretty healthy. I believe the count is
5x peppered cories
2x panda cories
1x sterbai
2x green

My plan is to take it all out. New sand, it has a new filter, and get new decor. Do a fishless cycle first and get this tank on track. I would love to grow Java ferns or some other easy low light plant in that tank. Anyone's help with this would be appreciated I know its small hahah

It seems you know this already, but your tank is WAY overstocked. Now, you need to be more specific on what you need advice on. Do you need help on how to set up a planted aquarium? Or do you jet want some ideas of plants or something?

I'd suggest that you rehome the cory's...would make a nice shrimp tank as well&could add a couple nano fish..scarlet badis&or celestial pearl gourami's to name a couple..some java fern,java moss,anubias& a nice piece of dw would set it up nicely...you could use aquarium safe black silica sand for your substrate,it would really make the plants&stock pop out..what kind of lighting do you have?

Yes lighting is very important for plants. Also, if you are doing sand as the substrate, you are going to get some nutrients to add for the roots cause sand is inert

If the OP uses the above mentioned plants there will be no need for anything in the substrate..an occasional dose of flourish comp should keep things healthy..

Yes I plan on using those plants and maybe a tiny piece of driftwood. I'm going to stock it with 4 or 5 panda cories . I already have a home for the others!

Fitzgeraldkevin said:
Yes I plan on using those plants and maybe a tiny piece of driftwood. I'm going to stock it with 4 or 5 panda cories . I already have a home for the others!

Still with that # you'd be borderline overstocked...I realise they should be kept in groups but that's still pushing it..I keep 3 in my 20g tall planted tank.

tiger terror said:
Still with that # you'd be borderline overstocked...I realise they should be kept in groups but that's still pushing it..I keep 3 in my 20g tall planted tank.

Oh its beyond pushing it! But until I can set up my bigger tanks I might have tto make do. Ill post how it goes as I progress

Back
Top Bottom