So many pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover07

Aquarium Advice Regular
So in my 75gal tank I have quiet a few mommas... Two of which I have not had/bred for long. I've become an old pro at swordtail maiting but not so with my balloon belly Molly and my tiger barbs. I know the Molly is a live bearer and I know the tiger is an egg layer. I know what has to be done for both but the one thing I don't know is when. I have an awful habbit of buying my little ladies pregnant (on purpose) then selling momma if I don't care for the fish, as I will the Molly. Will the Molly get squar

Sorry... Will she get squarish as the swords do? Also what behavior will the barbs show so I know when to put them in my 30gal breeder tank? Also is it safe to move all of these fish in the breeder tank together as long as I have net seperaters

Your molly will absolutely start getting bigger and square-like from the front/top when she's getting ready to drop her fry. And like the sword-tails, she is likely to have anywhere from 10-30 fry, possibly more depending on her experience and age.
Personally, I'm not a fan of breeder nets/traps because I'm superstitious and think that they cause the mother to abort her pregnancy, even if used just right, but you should be able to move her to a breeder tank/net/trap just before she is ready to drop.

As for the barbs, they aren't really more maternal than the livebearers, and typically will lay plenty of eggs so that at least some fry survive. Due to tendency for both fish to consume their young, I wouldn't personally keep them all together in the breeder tank. If you're interested in just having them breed and letting natural selection occur, keep 'em all in your community tank.

Good luck!(y)

Well I am a little worried... after two weeks of odd behaviour in my tank I have discovered a problem...ich. we have started treatment for both the main tank and our issolation/ breeder tank and also put the molly in the smaller tank with my baby whale as they are the worst. We have picked up a third tank to start getting set. Up as our new breeder tank. My molly is having a very hard time even swimming so I'm hoping for babies soon. My poor little barb lady became goby food but found another who is looking a little more plump day by day. I wish I could just leave them in the main tank buuut I know they will all die. I'm so baby sick that I went out and bought a baby ferret... I wish my ladies would start dropping them before I go broke buying new pets.

Back
Top Bottom