So, maybe I can’t have fish? (Or just certain fish?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FSH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two bettas, in a 10 gallon, divided, planted tank, CO2 supplied and at 78 degrees. Its cycled and CO2 supplied, with CO2 Dopplers on each divided side. I have gripe lights, sponge filters for biological, and have box filter for chemical. I started this tank in February 2021.

My bettas aren’t looking good and haven’t for awhile.

I have been researching obsessively trying to help them. I purchased a whole testing kit when I got the tank. Everything has looked fine. I decided to get a KH and GH test, as I continue this search in trying to find a resolution, and I may have found it.

It initially took 31 drops for GH testing liquid to turn green. KH was 10. Each drop was individual and mixed before I added another. I have redone this test about 12 times. My results aren’t even on the conversion chart provided.

I topped off the tank with distilled water, and was able to bring the GH to 22, the KH is now 8.

The photos of the tests attached were done about 15 minutes ago.

I can’t afford a RO system and just really wanted a beautiful planted tank with few fish, and now I know why my plants were continuously melting.

Am I doing something wrong, are there other options, or should I quit before I go broke ??.

All and any recommendations and constructive criticism is welcomed.

5-BCA3-D54-6075-4-AD2-B3-AD-9-C6352-F44-CF6.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

hi FSH! Your KH levels were extremely high, but now that you were able to lower KH levels I hope your bettas do fine. I recommend purchasing a better test kit in order to determine exactly what's wrong with your water parameters; I think there may be something in your aquarium that's raising your GH and KH levels however it may not be your fault.

I have some questions, how often do you do water changes? And if you do, do you use dechlorinator before pouring the water into the tank? I hope your bettas get well.

And if they don't, don't be harsh on yourself, you should definitely learn from the experience and get more fish after you solved the issue! Hope this helps :)

What is the water testing parameters out of the tap?

If your tap water is that full of minerals you can try other things.

Refilling evaporated water with more tap water will compound the mineral content in the tank so use store distilled or get a cheap deal new on a Britta or Zero Water type filter, or used often come with extra new filters, sometimes thrift store, Restore, Craigslist or FB. I see them all the time for low prices, sometimes free.

Keep the water changing frequent so that there is very good quality for the fish.

Also just checking that you are not rinsing the sponge filters in untreated tap water, only use treated or old (cleanish) tank change water.

Alternatively you may be able to keep a kind of fish which like harder water. That way it would be easier for you and not as expensive.

I have softer water so I am not as familiar, but there are some types of plants which like lots of minerals in the water. Some of the Anubias varieties prefer harder water.

Other options can be a 5G jug or 1G and refill from a grocery store filtered water dispenser, or a lfs which has SW usually and they sell RO water usually .50 or .75 a gallon.

I don’t think KH or GH is this issue here personally.

Quick experiments I would try first:

1) Turn off the co2 (you might be pumping too much) check Betta response. If they improve, leave it off or turn it down. If they don’t move on to step 2.

2) Install an airstone to break the surface and provide more oxygen. Bettas can breathe from the surface but oxygen is important for many tank processes such as breaking down of waste products. Check response of bettas after installing an airstone.

3) Turn off filter for a few minutes. You might have too much flow for the Betta. They don’t like a lot. Check response and see if they improve. Battling flow all day in a small tank they can’t escape is stressful.

1) Turn off the co2 (you might be pumping too much) check Betta response. If they improve, leave it off or turn it down. If they don’t move on to step 2.

2) Install an airstone to break the surface and provide more oxygen. Bettas can breathe from the surface but oxygen is important for many tank processes such as breaking down of waste products. Check response of bettas after installing an airstone.

3) Turn off filter for a few minutes. You might have too much flow for the Betta. They don’t like a lot. Check response and see if they improve. Battling flow all day in a small tank they can’t escape is stressful.

Really good common sense suggestions!

hi FSH! Your KH levels were extremely high, but now that you were able to lower KH levels I hope your bettas do fine. I recommend purchasing a better test kit in order to determine exactly what's wrong with your water parameters; I think there may be something in your aquarium that's raising your GH and KH levels however it may not be your fault.

I have some questions, how often do you do water changes? And if you do, do you use dechlorinator before pouring the water into the tank? I hope your bettas get well.

And if they don't, don't be harsh on yourself, you should definitely learn from the experience and get more fish after you solved the issue! Hope this helps :)

I change the water 2X per week and about 25-30%. Let me know if you have any recommendations for this. I also use Prime as the water conditioner. What test kit do you recommend that may be more accurate?

What is the water testing parameters out of the tap?

If your tap water is that full of minerals you can try other things.

Refilling evaporated water with more tap water will compound the mineral content in the tank so use store distilled or get a cheap deal new on a Britta or Zero Water type filter, or used often come with extra new filters, sometimes thrift store, Restore, Craigslist or FB. I see them all the time for low prices, sometimes free.

Keep the water changing frequent so that there is very good quality for the fish.

Also just checking that you are not rinsing the sponge filters in untreated tap water, only use treated or old (cleanish) tank change water.

Alternatively you may be able to keep a kind of fish which like harder water. That way it would be easier for you and not as expensive.

I have softer water so I am not as familiar, but there are some types of plants which like lots of minerals in the water. Some of the Anubias varieties prefer harder water.

Other options can be a 5G jug or 1G and refill from a grocery store filtered water dispenser, or a lfs which has SW usually and they sell RO water usually .50 or .75 a gallon.

I do rinse the sponge filters with aquarium water, as I heard there is beneficial bacteria that my tap water would kill off.

My tap water from the source is 16GH

And, thank you for the feedback and recommendations. I didn't know I could purchase RO water, so thank you!!

I didn't turn off the Co2, as the aquarium is heavily planted, but I did turn it down to 25 BPM let me know what you thing about that. Also, I have two sponge filters that break the surface with bubbles on each divided side, in the corners of the tank, to avoid too much water movement.

I have the box filter turned down to about 75%, (and its hard to even see if its working unless I pull out the lilypipe to confirm there is water flow) and recently lost a piece, were I had to go without it for about 8 days until I received the replacement part. There wasn't a change in the Bettas, but I will try to turn it off for about a week and see how that goes.

Thank you guys for the recommendations, I am really taking the time to go over all of these and see what I can do and how they respond.

What is your recommendation for C02 in a 10 gallon, and what is a recommended schedule for light? I have the C02 and the light prescheduled each day, maybe I don't have the timing correct, as well?

I saw online I can get a water softener pillow to add to the filter, do guys think this would be an option to help the current GH?

I change the water 2X per week and about 25-30%. Let me know if you have any recommendations for this. I also use Prime as the water conditioner. What test kit do you recommend that may be more accurate?

I do rinse the sponge filters with aquarium water, as I heard there is beneficial bacteria that my tap water would kill off.

My tap water from the source is 16GH

And, thank you for the feedback and recommendations. I didn't know I could purchase RO water, so thank you!!

I didn't turn off the Co2, as the aquarium is heavily planted, but I did turn it down to 25 BPM let me know what you thing about that. Also, I have two sponge filters that break the surface with bubbles on each divided side, in the corners of the tank, to avoid too much water movement.

I have the box filter turned down to about 75%, (and its hard to even see if its working unless I pull out the lilypipe to confirm there is water flow) and recently lost a piece, were I had to go without it for about 8 days until I received the replacement part. There wasn't a change in the Bettas, but I will try to turn it off for about a week and see how that goes.

Thank you guys for the recommendations, I am really taking the time to go over all of these and see what I can do and how they respond.

What is your recommendation for C02 in a 10 gallon, and what is a recommended schedule for light? I have the C02 and the light prescheduled each day, maybe I don't have the timing correct, as well?

I saw online I can get a water softener pillow to add to the filter, do guys think this would be an option to help the current GH?

You are just turning the co2 off to observe the betta. Leaving off for a few hours wont hurt the plants.

You really need to rule the co2 out before you can move on. We can’t really tell if it’s high or low for your specific tank.

Yeah I agree about turning off the CO2, the tank honestly doesn't look so heavily planted or have a lot of high needs plants to require it tbh

Back
Top Bottom