So my tank finally started cycling but ammonia is slow to drop. Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tank finally has started to cycle! The first day I noticed nitites they were .25. Then the next day .5 then 1.0 the next day (yesterday) and 2.0 today. So they've been increasing every day but the original ammonia is still between .50 and 1.0. The ammonia has dropped but I thought it would go down faster with the nitrites picking up. Is this normal? Sorry I'm getting to be a worrier about weird happenings with this because of my initial troubles getting the cycle started. Ammonia was probably at 3 the first day I noticed nitrites.

Everything downs fairly slowly until the nitrates kick in. When they do you should see a drop in a day if not over night.

As long as they're dropping your on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Are you fishless cycling? If so dose your ammonia up to 4ppm. Keep feeding the bacteria so it will finish and not stall out. Your nitrites will start to fall soon, then you will see some nitrates (if you don't see any from your tap already). Once your bacteria can convert 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hours and read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites you should be ready for a 50% water change and then stock it!

You are close but I'm worried with your ammonia being so low it may start to stall on you.

Everything downs fairly slowly until the nitrates kick in. When they do you should see a drop in a day if not over night.
+1 Tracey

Agreed, the process starts slow, but keep an eye, because will speed up fast, specially the ammonia, don't forget to re dose the ammonia everytime that reads back to 0 ppm.
Assuming that you are doing fishless cycle.......

ejaramillo01 said:
+1 Tracey

Agreed, the process starts slow, but keep an eye, because will speed up fast, specially the ammonia, don't forget to re dose the ammonia everytime that reads back to 0 ppm.
Assuming that you are doing fishless cycle.......

Everything is still moving along. I'm going to dose a little ammonia tonight to make sure it stays up a little. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom