So what actually causes Staghorn Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRagg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I haven't posted in a bit, I've been lurking and taking in the info flying around here.

For the last month and a half I've had some pretty bad Staghorn algae issues.

I lowered my lighting from 40W of PC bulbs to 26W of CF bulbs.
(I'm running DIY CO2, I will not increase my lighting again until I go pressurized)

I have also since changed to full EI dosing, which seems to be keeping the staghorn algae in check to some extent. It's nowhere near as bad as it was 3 weeks ago, but it's still there.

The question is, what actually causes Staghorn Algae to start up in the first place. I'm trying to make sure that the cause of the algae is fixed. The stuff is very unattractive, and invasive.

I've noticed that it thrives more in low flow areas of the tank, but this may be because the local nutrient levels are really low. I have read that ammonia may also cause this stuff to get going. I did a lot of uprooting and trimming after I got back from my honeymoon (a month and a half ago) and I know that I did pull up a couple of root tabs in the process.

Anyone have any input?

With all string/thread type algaes (and arguably GSA) I am becoming convinced its CO2. For example, I have been busy and have only dosed once or twice a week, but have kept up on CO2. My growth is not anything to brag about but I am keeping algae at bay. I am even pondering leaving daily dosing behind after having more time.

Remember the point of EI is it eliminates nutrients and isolates CO2. If you still have algae after EI, it's almost certainly CO2.

[Tom Bar]
CO2, CO2, CO2
[/Tom Barr]

HTH

Unfortunately it does. It's where I thought my problem was, which is why I'm not putting the "nuclear lighting" back on until I get a pressurized setup.

A little off topic, but for some reason all of the stargrass in my tank just died. Is this stuff really sensitive to chlorine or something? When I trim my tank I put the good clippings in a bucket of tap water (probably need to dechlor it first) and the bad ones in the trash. Then I replant the good ones. Seems that all of the stargrass I put in that bucket is dying. All the leaves are white on what were very healthy plants. The one piece that stayed in my tank is still alive, though it looks really shoddy.

Argh.

czcz said:
With all string/thread type algaes (and arguably GSA) I am becoming convinced its CO2. For example, I have been busy and have only dosed once or twice a week, but have kept up on CO2. My growth is not anything to brag about but I am keeping algae at bay. I am even pondering leaving daily dosing behind after having more time.

Remember the point of EI is it eliminates nutrients and isolates CO2. If you still have algae after EI, it's almost certainly CO2.

[Tom Bar]
CO2, CO2, CO2
[/Tom Barr]

HTH

I completely agree. Like Tom Barr says, CO2 is the key. Yes, proper dosing plays a part in keeping the plants happy, but CO2 is where it all happens. With a good CO2 level, my plants pearl so much.

Back
Top Bottom