So when should I be concerned about Nitrates? Currently 10 or 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having a hard time distinguishing 10 from 20. They look like the same color to me even with my glasses. My reading is at least 10. At what point do the nitrates become harmful?

20 should be the most. At that point, it can become serious.:)
Keeping it under 10 would be amazing. That's what i try to do:)
Some people say 40 is the maximum, IMO that's way too much.

20 should be the most. At that point, it can become serious.:)
Keeping it under 10 would be amazing. That's what i try to do:)
Some people say 40 is the maximum, IMO that's way too much.

Ok, sounds good. Was gonna wait til Saturday to do my pwc, but looks like I am about to get busy on that right now.

Thanks.

Your not alone, we all have issues with the oranges, the colors are just so darn close together it's hard to tell them apart. I am for 10-20. I don't like going higher than 20. As said before some say 40 but that high makes me nervous. I do you have any live plants at all?

Yep keep it under 20 will be great! But if you have plants ten-twenty is good so they can feed off of it!

Your not alone, we all have issues with the oranges, the colors are just so darn close together it's hard to tell them apart. I am for 10-20. I don't like going higher than 20. As said before some say 40 but that high makes me nervous. I do you have any live plants at all?

Yes, my tank is planted. Only lightly right now. I have about 10 anubias and java ferns, but plan to add more. I will remember that. I remember over on the planted forum I thought I read that nitrates were a good thing, but then I read otherwise so I figured I misread. I will definitely keep it under 20 though. Thanks guys.

I'm happy if it stays Orange. :D
And that's with a 50% weekly WC and loads of plants. It might have something to do with over stocking! :rolleyes:
I think I need another tank!

One of our lfs water is deep red. He's the same guy that's always bragging about how little you need to change the water. :whistle:

I'm happy if it stays Orange. :D
And that's with a 50% weekly WC and loads of plants. It might have something to do with over stocking! :rolleyes:
I think I need another tank!

One of our lfs water is deep red. He's the same guy that's always bragging about how little you need to change the water. :whistle:

Based on your emoticon does that mean you agree with your lfs guy? I always hear conflicting information on water changes. Some say weekly with varying percentages, some say bi-weekly either sense of the term. I have also heard monthly. I personally believe just staying on a 10%-15% weekly routine keeps everything in order. I don't know this in practice because I have only been setup a little over a week. Just basing my pwc philosophy on what I have read. The majority of the folks that have happy healthy tanks do smaller pwc's weekly. I used tetra safestart and lots of driftwood from established tanks and it looks like from my test results I am cycled, but I am sure this is an anomaly, but I plan to do a pwc weekly.

I have found that a 50% water change a week pretty much will keep things within parameters in a cycled tank. Basically, outside of getting contaminated or diseased, nothing is going to happen that won't get reeled in by the next WC.

Your bio load will come into play as well. Use your api test kit and figure out a WC regiment that will keep your tank healthy. If you're doing a 30% WC a week and you still have high nitrates, then up the WC to 50%. Don't forget to vacuum.

It's also good to know your tap (source water) parameters. For example, tap pH has a tendency to drop after it sits over night. So your tank may not have the same pH as your tap. If that difference in pH is significant, then replacing too much water may shock your fish due to the pH change. In that situation one might want to let the water sit 24 hours before putting it into the tank. Each tank is unique.

No, I don't agree with our LFS guy.

Yes, my tank is planted. Only lightly right now. I have about 10 anubias and java ferns, but plan to add more. I will remember that. I remember over on the planted forum I thought I read that nitrates were a good thing, but then I read otherwise so I figured I misread. I will definitely keep it under 20 though. Thanks guys.

Since you have plants, don't go below 10. Plants actually need the nitrates. Nitrate target range for planted tanks is 10-20. So I say your fine for another day or so. But if you want to do one now no harm done either :) I just wouldnt do a huge water change or anything.

Based on your emoticon does that mean you agree with your lfs guy? I always hear conflicting information on water changes. Some say weekly with varying percentages, some say bi-weekly either sense of the term. I have also heard monthly. I personally believe just staying on a 10%-15% weekly routine keeps everything in order. I don't know this in practice because I have only been setup a little over a week. Just basing my pwc philosophy on what I have read. The majority of the folks that have happy healthy tanks do smaller pwc's weekly. I used tetra safestart and lots of driftwood from established tanks and it looks like from my test results I am cycled, but I am sure this is an anomaly, but I plan to do a pwc weekly.

Quite honestly I think monthly is being way to 'lax' if you will with water changes. Weekly is a just fine! I could see some saying bi-weekly depending on how water params are.

Since you have plants, don't go below 10. Plants actually need the nitrates. Nitrate target range for planted tanks is 10-20. So I say your fine for another day or so. But if you want to do one now no harm done either :) I just wouldnt do a huge water change or anything.

I had already done about a 15% pwc right after I said I was going to anyway. The water looks a bit sharper now also. Not that it was cloudy before, but it just seems a bit more sharp now. I will definitely remember that for next time though.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom