so, who would pay for a transparent alluminum aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I would. Good ol' scotty from star trek was right on the money!

Stronger than glass (therefore much thinner panes would be needed).
More scratch resistant than glass.
Lighter than glass.

oh... and it'll stop a .50 cal armor piercing sniper round!
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131

I love it when science fiction becomes science fact. :D

Technically it's a ceramic that contains aluminum, but still way cool to say the least. Ceramics are really coming into play these days. I read an article about how the best knives in the world are ceramic knives. The only drawback is that they're somewhat brittle, but they hold their edge forever and are factory made to be extremely sharp.

you know someone with more money then brains would pay it though. Plus if there is a market for it maybe the economy of scale would bring down the price a bit.

The other area it would be useful in is spaceflight. Lighter weight translates into a huge savings, if it can handle the heat.

deli_conker said:
Technically it's a ceramic that contains aluminum, but still way cool to say the least. Ceramics are really coming into play these days. I read an article about how the best knives in the world are ceramic knives. The only drawback is that they're somewhat brittle, but they hold their edge forever and are factory made to be extremely sharp.

I was ordering some surgical scissors at work and came across this http://www.finescience.com/fst/ScalpelsKnives/10110-01.html in the catalog. I found it interesting and amusing that we are reaching back into the past for technology too.

Nice find on the obsidian! Brings back memories. OFF TOPIC: Growing up, we used to make plenty of journeys to the old lava flows in Idaho (around Craters of the Moon National Monument) and find obsidian chunks (my dad had a 2 pound chunk of it in his aquarium way back in the day) and Native American made arrowheads. Anyway, we used to chip the obsidian to see who could make the thinnest piece. My brother chipped a piece about the size of a quarter that was so thin it was virtually transparent, as was very sharp to boot.

Back on topic, if I had the money, I would definately buy a tank made of that stuff. I wouldn't have any more moving woes/worries when I had to move again.

Toirtis said:
Heh...started making my own a couple of decades ago....very nice blade for fine fleshwork.

Am I the only one who got a little bit scared of Toirtis upon reading that last bit? 8O :lol:

LOL.. apparently a few of us dont have much experiance in the hunting and or whatever other meat cutting department's your refering to..
I think some pics of your hand crafted knives would be uber cool! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom