Soaking food in metro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes in humans it's an anti malarial. You know I may just order this now to have on hand. I've read it works but you need to be careful with fish such as discus. I wanted to mention it to him since he says he has been dealing with it for 12 months.

At least I know it's actually safe! Someone was claiming it is hard to dose when I researched it. Thanks so much for the info! I'm so happy I found out the actual info. :)

So caliban, quinine sulfate is yet another option for you! So glad we stumbled upon it.

Yes in humans it's an anti malarial. You know I may just order this now to have on hand. I've read it works but you need to be careful with fish such as discus. I wanted to mention it to him since he says he has been dealing with it for 12 months.

At least I know it's actually safe! Someone was claiming it is hard to dose when I researched it. Thanks so much for the info! I'm so happy I found out the actual info. :)

So caliban, quinine sulfate is yet another option for you! So glad we stumbled upon it.

It is reasonably safe but it also depends on what form of quinine is being used. Some forms are much more toxic than quinine sulfate. From what little I have been able to peruse, I have found references to using quinine combined with metro or tetracycline to deal with difficult cases of hex (and other intestinal parasitic/protozoa infections in humans as well). There are suggestions for dosing here and there but not a lot of concrete information. In theory, this sounds like it would be very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A call to the company would be able to fix the dosing problem. I called SeaChem when I needed to dose scaleless fish with kana.

I find using it mixed into a gelfood (commercial or homemade) the easiest way to make medicated foods. Prepare the foods as normal then mix the med in and allow it to set into gel. Repashy is well liked by fish if your looking for something commercial.

@Normal, the product your mentioning is called Cyropro (made by Hikari). It's an insecticide used for treating crustaceous copepods such as anchor worm or fish lice. It works by interfering with their production of chitin. It's in similar to Dimilin and other organophosphate insecticides although it has been proven to be not quite as toxic to fish. I am honestly not quite sure how this product would be helpful in addressing a protozoa such as hex.

Sorry Jlk, I'm still not sure what you mean. It sounds daft but I would need step by step instructions on how to do this. Like when you say prepare the foods as normal I don't know what that means.

I've never used a gel food.

These are all great suggestions and I'm thankful for the interest but I feel out of touch because I don't usually medicate and half of these products are not readily available for UK customers.

I do have some water life product that is acriflavine and malachite green. Think it's called sterazin. Would this help?

A call to the company would be able to fix the dosing problem. I called SeaChem when I needed to dose scaleless fish with kana.

I actually disagree on this. Most fish meds (in the US) grossly under medicate in their directions which results in resistant strains of bad bugs and a host of other issues.

Caliban, I recall reading ingredients in a product available in Europe that contains a form of quinine (along with host of other things) but for the life of me, I can not recall what it was not am I sure if it's even still available.

Are Repashy foods available for sale in your country? These are mixes that you add water to and they form a gelfood. If not, making gelfoods is a bit of trial and error to figure out. Depending on the diet of the species, it can be mix of veggies, mix of veggies and protein or just protein. You purée the mix and use either plain gelatin or agar agar to set it into gel (firm jello texture). Bunch of other things can be added (vitamins, garlic, probiotics, natural color enhancers, etc) to enhance flavor and add health benefits. There are quite a few how to videos around on utube (etc) where people demonstrate how they make their fish foods. Hope this helps a bit!

Here you go! Waterlife's Octozin has a form of metro in it. King British (Sinclair) WS3 also called 'white spot terminator' has quinine in it although I am not sure what form of quinine. You may have a bit more luck finding these products. Sera also has quite a few options but some of their mixes of meds are quite questionable.

Well calling could still give you the baseline for how much to add and then add extra. I agree knowledge of dosing aside from the company's would be beneficial. :)

Caliban, let us know how things go.

The octozin sounds like a good about. I'm gonna buy this tomorrow and see if it works.

Poor fish. Hate exposing them to meds.

These are all great suggestions and I'm thankful for the interest but I feel out of touch because I don't usually medicate and half of these products are not readily available for UK customers.

I do have some water life product that is acriflavine and malachite green. Think it's called sterazin. Would this help?

It absolutely worked for me when my guppies had HOTH. Just dont combine it with the metro. It should kill the free swimming form of the parasite.

It absolutely worked for me when my guppies had HOTH. Just dont combine it with the metro. It should kill the free swimming form of the parasite.

Thanks. I have octozin as well now so Will prob go with that first since it says on the packet it is specifically for hole in the head.

Ive heard Quintine sulfate is toxic at a PH above 7.5, so be careful.

Any way to find out if this is definitely true? I have a high ph and nothing will bring it down. I hate having high ph (used to have acidic water, miss it so much).

I have a possible case of HITH and now am terrified to use this product.

Any way to find out if this is definitely true? I have a high ph and nothing will bring it down. I hate having high ph (used to have acidic water, miss it so much).

I have a possible case of HITH and now am terrified to use this product.

I am not sure where this ph myth stems from. Quinine sulfate is used safely in sw tanks to treat cryptocaryon. I do not know of any sw setups that have an acidic ph. I have used it and my ph ranges 8-8.2. Note that this is specifically for quinine sulfate. There are other forms of quinine that this may not apply to but it will be even more difficult to find and/or purchase more toxic forms.

So just to update. I've fed the metro for about 4 days. The first day I didn't do it properly but the second day I let it dry and the 'crystals' certainly seemed to stick to the pellets. I was expecting them to fall off when I put the pellets in the tank but the held on so I'm sure some were ingested.

From what I can see, the four that are eating look better. Can't see any markings on their heads anymore but I'm not getting excited just yet. The fifth it's still not eating.

Did a large water change last night. About 60% and rearranged some of the decor.

So far I've just used the octozin to sterilize all my equipment.

That's excellent progress IMO, Caliban. I say keep up the great work and remain optimistic. Hopefully it will all work out.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

That's excellent progress IMO, Caliban. I say keep up the great work and remain optimistic. Hopefully it will all work out.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks treeman. It takes them a while to come out again after a major rescape. They don't get much human interaction at the moment but before all this happened they were starting to trust me and I even had a pair lay eggs on two occasions.

How much water did you use? How much metro?

Water didn't matter. Rob about 50ml. I used one scoop. The crystals settled at the bottom and I tipped most of the water out. I let the rest dry out completely and when it had finished the crystallized metro was embedded in the pellets. Not every pellet. But most. When I Put them in the tank the metro stayed on the pellets and the fish are them. I can confirm that there are no marks on any of the fish now and there colours are coming back.

Back
Top Bottom