Soft Coral Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryceguam

Aquarium Advice Regular
What type of lighting do I need for soft corals? are fluorescent lights ok? I've had a FOWLR tank for a while now and a I want to get started with corals. I know lighting is the most debated topic in reefing, so I just wanted to see what your opinion is. my tank is a 55 gallon, 21 inches deep.

Regular flourecent lighting will not cut it. You`ll need VHO flourecents. That`s what I have for my tank for LPS and soft corals.

There is a light on fishneedit that can connect to a halide.. But it's a 2 bulb. Should I get that right now and later upgrade it or should I buy the 4 bulb an not get halides ever? Sorry to ask on this thread but it might help you in your decision too :)

It is all in what you want to do with your tank later on . I would start with a 4 bulb set up and then if I decide to go with metal halides get one with fans so that it will help keep the tank cooler. With a 4 bulb fixture you can do LPS as well as softies.

Okay I will just save up for the 4 bulb then thanks! Im not wanting to keep acropora or anything atm, just not interesting enough to me. Acans and candycanes are what I really want

You will be able to do that easily with the 4 bulb fishneedit light.

Back
Top Bottom